DIR kit in teaching scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yup -- PADI Standards only require you wear/use a snorkel for a couple of things -- skin diving skills, snorkel-to-regulator exchange for example and the surface compass/nav swim.

I do have a snorkel on my pool gear but I keep my snorkel (in two pieces) in my dry suit pocket for OW dives.

Hmmmmm.

WWPD (What Would PADI Do), or Naui for that matter, if an instructor chose to certify a strong OW candidate in DIR gear without a snorkel? (Putting aside the obvious question as to why the student isn't taking GUE REC-1). That's probably one of the most popular questions I get as a DM/AI - "Why don't you use a snorkel"?

Firstly, would PADI even know if an instructor chose to do that!?

All my students possess a snorkel. It just isn't always attached to their mask - never anywhere in the standards does it say that it has to be on the mask. Semantics, maybe, but in this case works in my favour.

PADI (aka the DIR Dive Agency!) recognise in many places in student and instructor manuals that a snorkel serves no purpose underwater, so there is no issue with it being in a drysuit pocket.

EDIT: On the GUE Rec1 course, a PADI 5* IDC centre won't be able to teach Rec1 without violating PADI standards, I think. So a student would have to do PADI OW in a DIR style!

I have taught OW classes in BP/wing and long hose before ... it isn't any more difficult than in standard gear. NAUI's requirement is that the instructor must be in the same configuration as the students ... so if I'm using a long hose, they must be as well.

NAUI also mandates that both students and staff MUST have a snorkel in their possession during OW classes. Ours was attached to our left shoulder harness with a bolt-snap and bungeed in place with bicycle inner-tube ... just like you'd do with a backup light.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Ours was attached to our left shoulder harness with a bolt-snap and bungeed in place with bicycle inner-tube ... just like you'd do with a backup light.

That's a nice way. I've been using snorkels which can be rolled up (in the pockets) for 3 years, but I'll give your version a try during the next OW course.

Back to topic:
I second that there's no word in the PADI IM that does not allow the instructor to use a DIR rig for his students and himself.

I've been using a BP/W in all courses for the last 3 years. I'm quiet sure that the students are learning faster and easier to hover and to hold there position in the water. OOG is much easier to handle with the long hose. The first pool dive is mainly buoyancy control.

To let them know how real life in holiday locations is my students dive additional in "conventional" gear. Approx. 90 percent of all our OW students decided to buy a Hog rig.

And that's just talking about equipment.....

I'm a lawyer as well. Takes one to know one! :)

That's the problem with SCUBA diving these days, too many lawyer are getting into it. :D

Hmmmmm.

WWPD (What Would PADI Do), or Naui for that matter, if an instructor chose to certify a strong OW candidate in DIR gear without a snorkel? (Putting aside the obvious question as to why the student isn't taking GUE REC-1). That's probably one of the most popular questions I get as a DM/AI - "Why don't you use a snorkel"?

PADI_DIR.jpg
:D

That's the problem with SCUBA diving these days, too many lawyer are getting into it. :D

It's because we feel at home with the sharks.... :cool2:

btw, it's lawyers

In our PADI shop, we use the same gear as the students when we teach, which is standard rec gear. Since in our area probably 95% are preparing for tropical locations in mostly rented gear, it makes a lot of sense for them to train in that. It is not a sales thing--our shop sells BP/W's as well.

In the academic portion of the class, I show and explain all sorts of equipment they may encounter or consider purchasing. I explain the the thinking behind long hoses and bungeed necklaces.

In the pool, I now do very little on the knees, starting right from the start in the shallow end. I think people started doing things on the knees decades ago because someone thought it was a good way to start, and it became a habit. People now are have trouble visualizing a class done differently. In truth, it is much easier to do many skills, like regulator recovery, when students are in something close to a fin pivot position. It makes the regulator drop to a more natural position when released. Students on their knees frequently lean backwards, so their tanks pull away from their bodies in a way that is not at all like real diving.

In summary, I don't see PADI and DIR as fundamentally opposed at all. I do, however, think that PADI instruction has to think that it is preparing students for what they are likely to encounter when they go out diving. Many of you live in locations, like the Pacific Northwest, where many people dive the DIR way or similar. That is not what my students will generally see. I myself have hundreds of dives in dive locations (see my profile) frequented by dive vacationers. I am pretty sure I have never seen any more than 7-8 bp/W's total on those trips, and almost every one of them was someone with whom I prearranged a meeting through Scuba Board.

In our PADI shop, we use the same gear as the students when we teach, which is standard rec gear. Since in our area probably 95% are preparing for tropical locations in mostly rented gear, it makes a lot of sense for them to train in that. It is not a sales thing--our shop sells BP/W's as well.

I still think that's the one bonus that a conventional setup has over a BP/W, the ability to hire gear. BP/W are mostly popular in areas where people tend to buy their own gear vs. renting, so I don't really see this changing anytime soon.

In the academic portion of the class, I show and explain all sorts of equipment they may encounter or consider purchasing. I explain the the thinking behind long hoses and bungeed necklaces.

I can say you are much better at this than most shops I know. The first time a student in one of our classes saw me diving outside of me being his DM, he though my equipment was some sort of joke. I was practically in the water before he would believe I wasn't trying to pull some elaborate prank on him to "fool the newbie".

In summary, I don't see PADI and DIR as fundamentally opposed at all. I do, however, think that PADI instruction has to think that it is preparing students for what they are likely to encounter when they go out diving. Many of you live in locations, like the Pacific Northwest, where many people dive the DIR way or similar. That is not what my students will generally see. I myself have hundreds of dives in dive locations (see my profile) frequented by dive vacationers. I am pretty sure I have never seen any more than 7-8 bp/W's total on those trips, and almost every one of them was someone with whom I prearranged a meeting through Scuba Board.

PADI is very much what people want to make of it, and it just so happens that a large percentage want to make it cheap and easy. I can accept that a PADI instructor can teach in a DIR style, but I do believe they will have to fight a lot harder to do so. PADI sees DIR as "Tech Only". They do not believe Tech and Rec should mix.

Tom

For what it's worth, I wish I would have been taught with a DIR style set-up. I've been diving for a short time but in that time I have moved to the dark side. After reading many different posts and understanding the reasonning behind the different configuration, which makes more sense in a safety and ease of use aspect. During some of the dive functions/events we have had I have been asked about what I have, it is nice to explain the purpose of a long hose or BP/W and see the look of enlightenment on a persons face. One of the best ones was asking a person how they stored the octo, which ended up being in a pocket. I asked they what they would do if I was OOA and in a panic pulled their primary from their mouth. They were stumped. I then explained how the long hose and necklace worked.

It's because we feel at home with the sharks.... :cool2:

btw, it's lawyers

And everyone knows that sharks won't attack lawyers - professional courtesy!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom