DIR in Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bismark

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Anyone here done the fundamentals course in Bonaire? How much time would it take? I am there in March 07 and might have the time/opportunity to do it. I am not DIR trained but I am intrigued and have already adopted many of DIR "suggestions" in my day to day diving in the NW. Might be interesting but I don't want to lose too much diving time on my holiday. Thoughts?

Former ankle weighter......

As far as I know, the only GUE instructor in the Caribbean is Fraser Purdon in Grand Cayman.

You might be able to put together a class in Bonaire if you contact a GUE instructor and you have a group who would be willing to pay to get him there.

The class takes four days now.

ppo2_diver:
Benji is the only GUE instructor in Bonaire.

http://www.caribbeangastraining.com
I met Benji Staub when he helped out with Fundamentals class in Atlanta earlier this year. He was a lot of fun to be around, and I am sure he is an excellent instructor. I would not hesitate to take a class from him.

Regarding class length, it used to be the case that if there were only 2-3 students, they could do the class in three days. More than 3 students would require 4 full days. I'd check with the instructor to be sure.

Well, clearly I misspoke! What a great thing to have this class available at such a popular destination!

Was down in Bonaire last month and we hired Benji as a guide for several dives. He's very easy-going and quite knowledgable. I think he mentioned that he has a half-day(or so) 'Intro to DIR' style class.

Even if you are not taking DIRF or the intro class, I recommend hiring him as a guide for the dives that either require a guide(TOwn Pier, Salt Pier) or for ones were a guide is recommended(Lac Cai). He can also set up boat dives for the east-side.

ppo2_diver:
I just wish I could make it down there some day. So far, the wife won't let me.

Get the wife interested in diving and take her down there with you! :wink:

Bismark:
Anyone here done the fundamentals course in Bonaire? How much time would it take? I am there in March 07 and might have the time/opportunity to do it. I am not DIR trained but I am intrigued and have already adopted many of DIR "suggestions" in my day to day diving in the NW. Might be interesting but I don't want to lose too much diving time on my holiday. Thoughts?

Former ankle weighter......
My thoughts would be to take the class more locally (it's offered regularly down here in Seattle), and spend your time in Bonaire diving.

Seems like kind've a waste to go all the way down there to spend time sitting in a classroom or practicing drills. And keep in mind that if you want to pass, the chances are better than 50-50 you'll need a re-evaluation after spending some time practicing what you learn in class. Of course, an excuse to make a second trip to Bonaire wouldn't be so bad ... but taking it more locally would make the logistics a bit simpler.

Heck, if you could get a few buddies interested, I'd bet you could talk Steve into heading up to Van Isle to do the class for you in your local environs ...

... Bob (Grateful Dive)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom