DIR Harness / Non HOG / Opinions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JeffG:
I guess we can let Mikey ask "Can Paraplegics be DIR?" too.

:confused: :shakehead: :shakehead: :confused:

While not strictly DIR I don't see why a chest strap would be a big deal to fellow DIR divers - the dangers posed by it appear minimal and the main reason as far as I know for not using it is because it has been deemed unnecessary (to uninjured divers) and just clutters the chest and can potentially constrict breathing (chest expansion). However, diving with a painful injury might not be DIR, especially if said injury could compromise team safety or render the diver more prone to DCS.

JeffG:
I guess we can let Mikey ask "Can Paraplegics be DIR?" too.

Good trolling material.

Can you show me where in the GUE Standards and Procedures Crossing the shoulder straps is expressly forbidden?

Lacking that, what problems do you see in such a harness?

Tobin

My harness with the crossed straps has passed muster with several GUE instructors and a bunch of DIR divers so far.

The only problem I've had with it was that the latex neck seal on my Diving Concepts suit came down so far in the back that the straps were sitting on the seal. I didn't think the seal would have much longevity like that. I ended up getting the warm neck collar put on the suit, which solved the problem, but had I not, I was going to get some neoprene to put over the straps to protect the latex.

BTW, I have been corrected from an outside source. My instructor should not have been prepared to permit the quick disconnect in the harness, and a chest strap should be removed before participating in a GUE class or GUE dives.

When choosing equipment etc, you have to look at what it brings to the dive, not what it does for us on the surface. Underwater, I don't really see any harness being any more or less comfortable, thus the single piece of webbing will provide a secure fit and reduced failure points. The pain of hauling around tanks on the surface can be mitigated by the use of foam padding under the straps while moving the tanks (on the surface only), or by asking team mates to lend a hand. While I personally wouldn't consider the harness in question DIR, I wouldn't have any problems doing benign dives with someone wearing it. Where my concern would come into play is with more advanced dives, where the need to use non standard gear to mitigate the effects of an injury would concern me (ie just how bad is the injury and what are the potential consequences of it).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom