DIR Harness / Non HOG / Opinions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike Edmonston

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hi Gang,

I was diving Labor day weekend in North FL with a group of divers (DIR / GUE), and was wondering about your opinion on harnesses.

I am not trying to say 1 harness is better than the next. This just came up as discussion and I thought I would share it.

I understand the minimalist philosophy of the HOG harness and have no problem with it. It is tried and true etc..

But, we had a DIR diver that had sustained a past shoulder injury. The HOG harness sat too far back on his shoulder, and caused him alot of pain. He decided to switch to the DR harness WITHOUT the plastic buckles, but with the center chest strap. This enabled him to move the shoulder straps inward and parallel with his bodyline, therefore reducing stress on the injury site, and allowing him to dive. Now, some members of the group went as far as to say that: It was unsafe, he was putting his buddy's life at risk, he would get tangled in the strap, the chest strap would break and the doubles would inevidable shoot off his back etc...

They gave this guy a real ribbing. I proceeded to tell them that although the harness was not HOG, it wasn't necessarely not DIR.

So my question is, should the guy just give up diving because of a harness? Would you guys dive with a member that had a chest strap on his harness? Would you just tell him to Fxxx off because he's not DIR enough?? (one of the divers actually said that!)

I think the Internet divers need to chill out and let people dive. I don't think there's anything DIR about Pain!

Cheers :D

We had a fellow in my Fundies class with a shoulder injury. He had a quick release on his harness. The instructor simply said, "If you have to have it, then you do. Look at the cost-benefit ratio and make a thoughtful decision."

I have very narrow shoulders, and routing a harness the usual way makes the straps sit way out over the head of my humerus, and dig into my upper arm to the point of leaving bruises. I solved the problem without a chest strap, by crossing my harness straps behind my neck. Works a treat, and doesn't add anything to get tangled in, or to forget to fasten.

Mike Edmonston:
So my question is, should the guy just give up diving because of a harness? Would you guys dive with a member that had a chest strap on his harness? Would you just tell him to Fxxx off because he's not DIR enough?? (one of the divers actually said that!)

I think the Internet divers need to chill out and let people dive. I don't think there's anything DIR about Pain!

Amen Bro!

Why is this in the DIR forum? or is this the new trolling zone.

JeffG:
Why is this in the DIR forum? or is this the new trolling zone.

Jeff,

Why do you perpetuate to use ignorant 1 line answers to most questions? You are the Posterchild for internet DIR PITA divers. Instead of being a negative voice, add a little intelligence to your statements and try, yes try, to be helpful.

This is in the DIR forum because it is a DIR question. Now quit trying to start arguments / flame wars etc... The DIR forum needs more intelligent discussions, and less self proclaimed Righteousness :shakehead:

Mike Edmonston:
This is in the DIR forum because it is a DIR question.
No it isn't.

TSandM:
I solved the problem without a chest strap, by crossing my harness straps behind my neck. Works a treat, and doesn't add anything to get tangled in, or to forget to fasten.

That sounds great, Do you have a pic or something I could E-mail the guy? Does the cross on the back ever dig into your neck? or is it lower?

Thanks for the suggestion

Mike Edmonston:
That sounds great, Do you have a pic or something I could E-mail the guy? Does the cross on the back ever dig into your neck? or is it lower?

Thanks for the suggestion

Crossed shoulder straps will; lower your plate about 1 inch, move the shoulder straps in off the top of the deltoids, and require a longer harness. Each shoulder strap "Loop" will be longer.

Crossed straps can move the shoulder straps inboard far enough to interfere with a neck seal if you are a former linebacker (or built like one)

Crossing is easy, just route the upper left to the lower right etc. The crossing takes place behind your neck.

Tobin

P.S. JeffG, try not to watch

cool_hardware52:
Crossed shoulder straps will; lower your plate about 1 inch, move the shoulder straps in off the top of the deltoids, and require a longer harness. Each shoulder strap "Loop" will be longer.

Crossed straps can move the shoulder straps inboard far enough to interfere with a neck seal if you are a former linebacker (or built like one)

Crossing is easy, just route the upper left to the lower right etc. The crossing takes place behind your neck.

Tobin

Thanks Tobin,

I'll set up a plate and try that out. I'll make sure to use red webbing with yellow pokadots.

cool_hardware52:
I guess we can let Mikey ask "Can Paraplegics be DIR?" too.

Good trolling material.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom