DIR/GUE recommendations for dSMB+spool

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a 6ft and 3ft Halcyon SMB that replaced the 6ft DAN SMB. The DAN is nice but not even close to how well made the Halcyon is. IMHO..... :D

100ft spool here!!

Good morning Scott, is that SMB the smaller one you have, fit in the pouch that comes with the Evolve system?

get 1 meter Halcyon and 100 cold water spool. The beauty on the 3.3 that it easily fits into the pocket. For a rougher seas get a bigger one like 6 ft. But 3.3 can do a lot of job. I see people use 3.3 a lot here and for Fundamentals it's very good. For a spool get a 100 ft. COLD spool, it has bigger holes and extra attachment for the clip and much easier to operate with dry gloves. 150ft cold spool is bulky. People recommend you 150 ft but most likely they think about 150ft warm version which is smaller. Do not go with the warm version as it has small holes and if you dive dry gloves they are much less convenient to operate.

get 1 meter Halcyon and 100 cold water spool. The beauty on the 3.3 that it easily fits into the pocket. For a rougher seas get a bigger one like 6 ft. But 3.3 can do a lot of job. I see people use 3.3 a lot here and for Fundamentals it's very good. For a spool get a 100 ft. COLD spool, it has bigger holes and extra attachment for the clip and much easier to operate with dry gloves. 150ft cold spool is bulky. People recommend you 150 ft but most likely they think about 150ft warm version which is smaller. Do not go with the warm version as it has small holes and if you dive dry gloves they are much less convenient to operate.

Have you ever actually dove the standard spool? I don't own any cold water defender spools but I have used my buddies. All of my spools are normal "warm water" spools and locally I dive dry gloves exclusively, I've never had a problem.

I am finishing up UTD Tech Essentials (Intro/GUE-F). I have been using the 3 foot Halycon one, and find the inflator a beast with cold lips.

I picked up the Deep Sea Supply one, and BTW their spool is awesome with dry gloves.

I should have bought the DSS one FIRST. (well I did but they were backordered) - so now I have both. :D

Have you ever actually dove the standard spool? I don't own any cold water defender spools but I have used my buddies. All of my spools are normal "warm water" spools and locally I dive dry gloves exclusively, I've never had a problem.

Yes I did (my buddy has one he bought in the beginning), I cannot lock the spool good enough with my fingers , while you can still use it it's uncomfortable. Cold versions are much easier to handle as the holes are bigger

Yes I did, I cannot lock the spool good enough with my fingers , while you can still use it it's uncomfortable. Cold versions are much easier to handle as the holes are notably bigger

You should not be attempting to "lock" the spool. Your fingers should not go into the holes! They should lightly hold the spool on the edge of the holes. If you're putting your fingers inside the holes that's a sure way to go for a ride or tear a glove. If you let go of a spool while the bag is ascending it's going to free spin in front of you, you just want to maintain it's position and make sure it doesn't foul. Like I said I find no difference in normal or cold water spools other than price. Sounds more like a training problem.

You should not be attempting to "lock" the spool. Your fingers should not go into the holes! They should lightly hold the spool on the edge of the holes. If you're putting your fingers inside the holes that's a sure way to go for a ride or tear a glove. If you let go of a spool it's going to free spin in front of you, you just want to maintaing it's position and make sure it doesn't foul. Like I said I find no difference in normal or cold water spools other than price. Sounds more like a training problem.

yeah, definitely

You will not find a better SMB than the Halcyon.

It depends ... I used one of their small SMBs for training purposes (AOW class) and for personal use for about three years. It held up well ... but eventually the seams started leaking and I had to buy another one. No problem ... I got my use out of it.

I purchased the second one last August (2009). It's already leaking at the seams, with perhaps no more than a couple dozen deployments.

Considering the cost, I'm not too happy about that. I'll replace it ... since a leaking SMB is pretty useless ... but not with another Halcyon. If this is any example of what they're producing these days, it's not worth the price.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

It depends ... I used one of their small SMBs for training purposes (AOW class) and for personal use for about three years. It held up well ... but eventually the seams started leaking and I had to buy another one. No problem ... I got my use out of it.

I purchased the second one last August (2009). It's already leaking at the seams, with perhaps no more than a couple dozen deployments.

Considering the cost, I'm not too happy about that. I'll replace it ... since a leaking SMB is pretty useless ... but not with another Halcyon. If this is any example of what they're producing these days, it's not worth the price.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Did you try contacting them about it? I've had no problems with either of there bags that I own showing any signs of wear.

do you think I could survive Fundies using 4.5' dSMB? You know, 3.3' is really small for future uses...

Yes ... I did my Fundies class with a 6' semi-closed bag and survived nicely. I'd just recommend getting out there and practicing your deployments a bit before class. A bigger bag requires a bit more "management" when deploying it.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom