DIR fundies- What did you UNlearn

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

do it easy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Some posters have mentioned "unlearning" bad habits in fundies, but what's typical or what have divers specifically unlearned? What are the typical OW bad habits that fundies addresses?

I can imagine things like flutter kicks, arm swimming, trim position, but I wanted to hear from people who have first hand experience.

I haven't taken any GUE classes.

Hm... arm swimming, flutter kicks, etc, aren't things you have to unlearn. You'll just never do them again.

Things like improper air shares, improper frog kicks, improper valve drills, etc, are the kinds of things you have to unlearn in order to learn how to do them the right way.

For instance, if you've been doing the frog kick for two years but have been dropping your knees way down every kick, this is something you will have to UNlearn before you can learn how to do it the right way.

Changing the way you do something is much harder than doing something altogether different.

How about improper buddy awareness? A major part of DIR-F is about awareness and team work.

D.

I took DIR-F with +-20 logged dives, so I had a whole lot less than most to "unlearn", but I can definitely say that my situational awareness, my buoyancy control and trim, as well as how I viewed myself as a buddy/teammate needed to be un-learned and then re-learned correctly. I can say with certainty that it was easily the best scuba purchase I've made since my initial OW class.

Well, I had over 900 dives when I took DIR-F, and I had some things to unlearn ... despite the fact that I'd been diving with DIR-trained divers for more than two years prior to taking the class.

First thing I had to unlearn was the notion that I had a pretty good idea what it was all about ... oh, I had some pieces of the puzzle pretty well figured out, but what was missing was the "why" that made those bits of information into a picture. The lecture part of the class was excellent at providing a "big picture" that was in some respects completely unlike the things one thinks they learn by reading books or internet postings.

Then there were the kicks ... 600+ dives on split fins had developed a muscle memory unlike anything a DIR diver would want to admit to. I thought I had a frog kick down pretty well ... till I saw it on video. It wasn't a frog, it was a flog! My right foot was doing this inexplicable little twist that was just killing any chance for an effective glide. After I saw the video I pretty much had to start all over again and teach my legs and ankles to do something different ... and that's not so easy once you've developed the muscles to do it a particular way.

And where the hell did that all that left-arm action come from? I knew better than to hand-scull but was doing it unconsciously ... not out of any need but because I'd gotten used to doing it over time. And breaking that habit was like trying to quit smoking ... you had to make it a conscious effort all the time.

Situational awareness I had down pretty cold ... then again, I was already an instructor by then, and if there's one thing instructors need to do well it's keep track of where everybody is at all times.

On the other hand, my buoyancy control wasn't nearly as good as I thought it was. Oh I could hover with the best of 'em till a little task-loading was applied ... then I was all over the map! What I had to unlearn was the habit of taking that last big breath before handing off a regulator ... it kills your buoyancy. That wasn't hard, really ... I had just never really given it proper thought before.

I can't say I was completely impressed with my DIR-F class but in hindsight a lot of that was because all the glowing reports I read had set an expectation that was, in all probability, unattainable. It did provide me with a realistic baseline of where I was at, skills-wise ... and how to go about getting to the level I wanted to be. And in truth, that's about all a class of that nature can do.

As a result, I try to set the expectations for those who I refer to the class by telling them ... 1) go in prepared to work hard ... 2) leave your ego home, it'll only weigh you down ... and 3) don't expect to pass the first time around.

I think that last one is the thing most of us have to unlearn ... the notion that giving it your best shot doesn't guarantee that you'll pass the class. For almost all of us, that's a totally new experience ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Too bad that fundies class isnt available in Colorado, can't really afford to travel somewhere to take it. I guess I will have to use the TDI and IANTD instructors that are around here.

I don't know where you are or where they are, but you can get a fundies class in CO. I've met Scott and Rob, a couple of great guys and a lot of fun to boot.

http://www.flatironsscuba.com/

Mark

novicediver:
Too bad that fundies class isnt available in Colorado, can't really afford to travel somewhere it. I guess I will have to use the TDI and IANTD instructors that are around here.

They did a Fundies class back in April I believe - and they just completed a scooter class in Colorado - so they'll probably be back, or you can get a group of divers together and bring them out ...

Aloha, Tim

novicediver:
Too bad that fundies class isnt available in Colorado, can't really afford to travel somewhere to take it. I guess I will have to use the TDI and IANTD instructors that are around here.
We are getting Joe Talavera into Albuquerque, Nov. 5,6 & 7 for our next class if your interested.

As far as unlearning: Dropping the knees when doing the frog kick was/is my weakness. Still working on that one.

ABQdiver:
We are getting Joe Talavera into Albuquerque, Nov. 5,6 & 7 for our next class if your interested.

As far as unlearning: Dropping the knees when doing the frog kick was/is my weakness. Still working on that one.
Now called hunching the dog...the other term was deemed politically incorrect by GUE HQ.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom