DIR for recreational diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you want to take the class, take the class :)

It's easier since you haven't bought any gear yet and it may make sense to go in the wing direction. Remember though that the gear dosen't make the diver - the skills do. Thats to say a wing wont immediately solve all your problems.

I've just come back from the red sea where I was diving a single (I usually dive doubles with a wing) and a jacket BC. I found it just as comfortable/streamlined/easy/etc in my jacket as I do with my wing in the UK. Plus I have pockets! In fact, I find the difference between diving dry and diving wet MUCH more different to diving with a jacket or a wing...

Finally, I'll leave you with this thought... Remember that you don't have to be DIR to be a good diver.

r00t0fallevil:
Hey guys...

I recently became NAUI open water certified and SCUBA is quickly becoming one of my favorite things to do. I have been reading many threads about DIR and I am totally in agreement with the mindset. Unfortunately, the training I did with NAUI open water has none of the concepts in DIR. Does DIR make sense for recreational diving?

I would like to buy some equipment soon, but do to the difference in mindset, I might be wasting my money on a BC, for example, when I will eventually need a BP/W setup, long hose, field serviceable regulator, etc...

I am based in NY so my recreational diving spot is in the Caribbean. Eventually I would love to dive in NY, ie drysuit.

Any thoughts? I guess I might look a little weird with 7" hose in Cozumel? :wink:

Thanks...

hi r00t0fallevil,
like Tavi said about naui tech trainning, you should go for the hogarthian configuration.

cancun mark:
Personally, I think you would get curiosity rather than ridicule .. people would be interested,

A couple of years ago I was invited to dive a new site. One look at the BP, etc. and the first comment was "man, that's the longest reg hose I've ever seen. Why so long?"
A took several minutes to explain the reason for the gear being configured as it was configured. Converts were made that day.

I dive the Hogarthian configuration for recreational diving all the time. One thing to keep in mind, Hogartian is not DIR. DIR uses the Hogarthian configuration.

edit: Before anyone jumps on this, the meaning is, you can be Hogartian and not DIR. But you cannot be DIR without being Hogarthian.

r00t0fallevil:
Hey guys...

I recently became NAUI open water certified and SCUBA is quickly becoming one of my favorite things to do. I have been reading many threads about DIR and I am totally in agreement with the mindset. Unfortunately, the training I did with NAUI open water has none of the concepts in DIR. Does DIR make sense for recreational diving?

In my area several NAUI instructors ... including me ... use and teach both the DIR mindset and configuration.

I would like to buy some equipment soon, but do to the difference in mindset, I might be wasting my money on a BC, for example, when I will eventually need a BP/W setup, long hose, field serviceable regulator, etc...

I am based in NY so my recreational diving spot is in the Caribbean. Eventually I would love to dive in NY, ie drysuit.

If you're planning to do mostly warm-water diving for a while, consider an aluminum backplate, rather than a stainless steel one.

Any thoughts? I guess I might look a little weird with 7" hose in Cozumel? :wink:

Thanks...

Go for it! I just returned from Bonaire ... and although I was the only one down there using a 7' hose, the only people who commented were genuinely curious about it. In fact, it proved to be a great conversation-starter on the dive boat ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Try it out... Look for someone with a BP&W who is willing to let you check it out. I dive recreational (read: conservative) profiles and the DIR style has made me more aware of my buddy enviroment and safety.

Thanks guys for all the responses...

I was leaning to the Hogarthian setup as soon as I got on this web site. The only "boo-boo" I guess I made was the boots and flippers. I got Henderson 5 mil and Apollo's. Before I was going to start my buying spree, I wanted to make sure what I was getting was for life and applicable for all environments and styles of diving.

I think I will go for a GUE type class up here in Brooklyn. Get some more foundation on my NAUI open water. I think I will probably start off with a BP/W and 7' regulator.

Watch out Cozumel! Here I come with my my 7 footer!

Thanks again for the confidence guys!

r00t0fallevil:
Before I was going to start my buying spree, I wanted to make sure what I was getting was for life and applicable for all environments and styles of diving.
There are some things that are just not going to fit every situation.

You may end up with both steel and aluminum backplates and you will probably need at least two sizes of wing at some point. I have separate regulator sets for singles and doubles while some people switch hoses around when they make that change.

Some of the gear can go a long way. I finally gave away a first stage that parts were getting a little hard to find for and I am starting to see signs of failure in my original set of Rocket fins. I am pretty sure my Apeks regulators are going to outlive me and I know my heirs will be giving my steel backplate to someone.

I dove with a BP&W and a 7 foot hose the entire time I was on vacation in Provo a few years ago and was never even asked about it. Personally, I don't care what other divers think about my gear configuration. If they're cerious enough about it to ask me a question I'll be more then happy to explane the benefits of this type of equipment but if they think it looks silly then that's they're problem.

I'd say that yes, some of the DIR equipment and ways of configuring it work well in recreational diving. I've been diving that way for nearly 6 years and only recently started doing any kind of technical diving that would actually require the DIR gear. People sometimes look at you a little funny but that's usually because they've never seen someone using such a long hose on the primary regulator and don't understand why someone would. Once you explane to them the rational behind it they usually think it's a great idea. Besides it's always been a great way to meet new people on the dive boats.

IMO do it.

This past year was the first time diving my rig in warm waters (keys). I was wondering what reaction I would get from fellow divers and divemasters when they saw it. First morning as I am loading my gear, I see someone else's complete hogarthian rig set up waiting to get wet. Turns out to be the rescue diver's gear. That of course led to a great week of discussions.

Back
Top Bottom