DIR for recreational divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chrpai once bubbled...
<snip>
I repeat, valve drills are not critical for single tank recreational divers.

Neither are a lot of things:

* 7' knifes with sharp points and blood grooves

* Ankle weights

* Fin clips & mask clips

And a bunch of other crapola people buy. This isn't something you buy - this is an acquired skill. Why not integrate this into your diving skill set?

Its no biggie. Its a simple thing to master, and its one of those things that can come in very handy. Whats your agenda, man?

Appreciate the dive dissection above, I guess. It was a total blow it on my part. I'm not blaming anyone.

Learn a skill to feel superior? Get a grip. How about learn a skill to feel safer. Whats your deal?

K

Mo2vation once bubbled...

Its no biggie. Its a simple thing to master, and its one of those things that can come in very handy. Whats your agenda, man?

K

I'm sorry, I thought the original posted asked if it was really nessecary. Is an opposing point of view not allowed? Must I have an agenda?

Who has their head in the sand?

Clearly I mis-read / interpreted your replies.

K

Mo2vation once bubbled...

Modified?

'splain, please.

K

My drysuit plus 400G undergarments were too restrictive for me to reach my single tank valve. There just wasn't enough room in the underarm circumference.

I tried first to see if DUI would alter the suit and was shut down by two of their experts.

I then spoke with Mark Owens at Superior Drysuit. He had several suggestions about how to improve the situation. For $75 they added panels to the underarms.

I could have added more, but didn't want to create an area that would trap excess air.

You can't distinguish between the new and the original materials. It took them only one day on the table to perform the work. I'm very happy with their work. They even performed a free leak test.

I can send a jpg image of the alteration via email. It's too big to post (390 KB) per SB limitations.

chrpai, you've never jumped in the water with your valves off, for whatever reason? You've never needed to manipulate them underwater? I've heard stories about people having them on enough to test well, then not working at depth...

What about if there's a high pressure hose failure? An o-ring around your AI console? :wink:

Let's say that that happens to you at 70 feet... On a single tank... And you've been there already for 35 minutes (no deco ob, but safety stop recommended). What do you do? What did you do the last time that happened to you?

Ever had a freeflowing reg that just won't quit?

The worst that could be said is, "If you can manipulate your valves, then at least you've got options."

Interesting Becki,,, thanks

I can reach the valve with my wetsuit, but not with my drysuit, and yoga ain't gonna hep with that, unfortunately

I'll have to look into that.

Chris

chrpai once bubbled...

Did he also let the air out of your BC and superglue your weightbelts on?

I repeat, valve drills are not critical for single tank recreational divers.

I don't need a weightbelt, and I don't add much (or any) air into my BC-especially on rough days. Don't want to hang around on the surface in 5 foot swells.

Valve drills are not critical-unless you're the one who needs to know how to do it.

Just another skill to know. Certainly can't hurt knowing it, can it?

What is the downside to knowing how to turn on/off your valves?

detroit diver once bubbled...
What is the downside to knowing how to turn on/off your valves?

You might start feeling all, you know, superior.

Geeze. Get in the game, man.

K

Dan Gibson once bubbled...
She had Superior Drysuit Repair put in a football shaped pattern in the underarm area that effectively creates a larger arm opening (measured around the shoulder socket) and made reaching her valves easier.

photo of underarm alteration

SeaJay once bubbled...
chrpai, you've never jumped in the water with your valves off, for whatever reason? You've never needed to manipulate them underwater? I've heard stories about people having them on enough to test well, then not working at depth...

What about if there's a high pressure hose failure? An o-ring around your AI console? :wink:

Let's say that that happens to you at 70 feet... On a single tank... And you've been there already for 35 minutes (no deco ob, but safety stop recommended). What do you do? What did you do the last time that happened to you?

Ever had a freeflowing reg that just won't quit?

The worst that could be said is, "If you can manipulate your valves, then at least you've got options."

I'm a single tank diver, please tell me how shutting down my tank is going to help me with a blown HP hose or a freeflowing reg that won't quit.

Sure its a great option for people with doubles, but for a single tank diver? Do you really want him contemplating if he should reach for his valve or do you want him going for his pony, or his buddy, or for CESA ectera...

And yes ONCE I entered the water without a fully opened valve. It was during AOW with 5 dives under my belt. I calmly signled to my buddy ( instructor ) something wrong. The needle was moving ony my SPG when I was breathing and I didn't know what that meant yet.

He signled share air, which I did. Then as a team he adjusted my valve, I switched back to my reg, we did a ok back and forth and went on. We were in about 20' of water when that happened and I could have just as easily ascended. This is No-D recreational diving after all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom