DIR-F Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikkilj

Contributor
Reaction score
On July 15-17, my husband and I took the DIR-F course in Houston, TX. I am very ecstatic that we both passed the course on our first try! Admittedly, we still have a lot to work on :wink: .

For the full(er) report, visit here:

http://www.chumclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=475

We had a great time and highly recommend doing the course early-on. We both had 22 dives before the course... :) 15 of those were in our BP/wings, which also helped.

Instructors Tyler Moon, Dave Sweetin, and intern Derek Bennett were outstanding.

very nice!

way to go to you both

Nice review. Makes me want to find a course to take.

I've put it off thinking I needed more dive time but now Im starting to wonder if I shouldnt just take it as soon as possible.

I'm creeping up on 100 dives so I might have to many bad habits forming that I dont even know about.

Sloth:
Nice review. Makes me want to find a course to take.

I've put it off thinking I needed more dive time but now Im starting to wonder if I shouldnt just take it as soon as possible.

I'm creeping up on 100 dives so I might have to many bad habits forming that I dont even know about.

In retrospect, I don't know if it's accurate to lump it all under the heading of "bad habits" ... but you will certainly be developing habits that are not compatible with the DIR style of diving. This is especially true if you're currently using non-DIR gear such as split fins or jacket-style BCD ... not because they're bad, necessarily, but because your diving habits are an aggregate of both what you were taught and the "muscle memory" your body develops as you increase your bottom time. Some of those habits ... bad or otherwise ... you will need to change in order to integrate to this style of diving. And the longer they develop, the harder they are to change.

Take the class sooner, if you have the option ... I sure wish I had ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
In retrospect, I don't know if it's accurate to lump it all under the heading of "bad habits" ... but you will certainly be developing habits that are not compatible with the DIR style of diving. This is especially true if you're currently using non-DIR gear such as split fins or jacket-style BCD ... not because they're bad, necessarily, but because your diving habits are an aggregate of both what you were taught and the "muscle memory" your body develops as you increase your bottom time. Some of those habits ... bad or otherwise ... you will need to change in order to integrate to this style of diving. And the longer they develop, the harder they are to change.

Take the class sooner, if you have the option ... I sure wish I had ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Luckly my LDS talked me into a BP/W and turbojets when I started diving again a couple of years ago. Since I didn't know how to rig my gear optimally I copied a lot of stuff from the fundies book and what I've gleened online. I also started reading about proper trim, bouncy control, alternate propulsion methods, ect, so I have made working on them a big part of my dive objectives.

My biggest concern is that almost my entire perception of what DIR and GUE is, is from online sources. So I'm worried that I think I know what I don't really know :)

meh, I need to find a class soon.
Mark

Sloth:
... So I'm worried that I think I know what I don't really know :)
Yes, Mark, but that you know that you know what you really don't know, is good to know. Ya' know?

But actually, I have a real question for Dir-f-ers.

After reading mikkilj's report, it appears that you can pass the DIRF class without being able to do a backwards froggy. Yes???

Yes. The back kick is really an introduction, and I don't think it's held against you if you don't master it. If you can do all of the skills in a reasonable manner, and have good situational awareness, my observation is that the back kick won't keep you from passing.

Rick Inman:
Yes, Mark, but that you know that you know what you really don't know, is good to know. Ya' know?

But actually, I have a real question for Dir-f-ers.

After reading mikkilj's report, it appears that you can pass the DIRF class without being able to do a backwards froggy. Yes???

Rick Inman:

I practice this backward kick just because I was shown it once and thought it was fun to try. But I've yet to be in a situation where I actually needed to use it. For my diving so far, it's just kind of a cute trick, like walking on your hands. Takes some practice but what use is it?

Rick Inman:

Kinda :). Dave Sweetin did spend a good amount of one-on-one time with me in the pool working on it, both with and without fins on. By the end of the pool session, I had done a few successful kicks and was starting to "get it." I think they felt confident enough that I had a solid foundation regarding how it should be done to where I could master it with more practice on my own. It probably didn't hurt that my husband had the best backwards kick of everyone in the class, so they also know that he will be able to help me out :wink:.

Hank49:
I practice this backward kick just because I was shown it once and thought it was fun to try. But I've yet to be in a situation where I actually needed to use it. For my diving so far, it's just kind of a cute trick, like walking on your hands. Takes some practice but what use is it?
I'd like to use this skill when:

>I'm facing my buddy and want to be able to back away a bit.

>I'm diving a wall, facing it, and want to back away a foot or so (no touching!).

>I move into some enclosure - small cave, wreck, kelp, etc. - and need to get out without turning around.

>We're in a circle around a stubby squid and I slide forward with the current and scare it away, wrecking the experience for the group (this actually happened!) and I want to be able to hold myself against the current.

I'm sure there's more examples, but the backwards kick is NOT just a parlor trick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom