DIR-F: March 10-11, erm, March 9-11: Part 1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

amascuba

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So I finally signed up for a GUE Fundamentals class and have been excited about taking the class for sometime. After a few months of reviewing schedules, my budget, and emailing instructors; I finally settle with Rob Calkins from Flatirons Scuba near the Denver, CO area.

Rob and I email each other back and forth discussing the class schedule and so forth. Originally the class was going to be over two weekends on March 10-11 and March 17-18. The first weekend was to be at Robs shop for lecture, field drills, and pool work. Then I get an email from Rob asking when I was flying in because he just got the new teaching material and it covers information in greater detail then it did before and he wanted to get a head start by holding a lecture on March 9th. So I email him back stating that I am actually driving and that it should only take around 7 hours to drive. A few days later I get an email to myself and the other students taking the class saying that we would have lecture on March 9th from 6-9PM. Not a big deal, since I was actually going to start driving that Friday morning.

So Friday, March 9, I started my journey to the Rocky Mountains at around 8AM. After around six and a half hours/420 miles of driving, I made it to the hotel that I was going to be staying at. I actually really enjoyed the drive. It’s always cool to watch the changing geological features as your driving. For my drive it went from flat plains, to rolling hills, to extinct volcanic uprisings, to the first sight of the Rocky Mountains just before Rotan, NM. It was really cool to see the snow covered mountains as the western backdrop of my driving.

trip_map.PNG

Once I got checked into the hotel, I went to my room and unwound from the days driving and just laid in bed for an hour or so. After that I went through and unpacked my things and turned on my laptop to check email. Sure enough, the class hadn’t even started yet and Rob had sent me an email with a PDF document asking me to print it off and review it before class. The class hadn’t even started yet and I already had homework! Thankfully it is a subject that I’m already fairly familiar with, Nitrox. I skimmed through the document quickly, without printing it out, since I didn’t have access to a printer and jotted some notes down in my notebook before the class. The next thing you know it’s time for me to start heading towards the shop for the first few hours of lecture.

The first night of lecture was pretty leisurely. We pretty much did a meet and greet and dove right into to the lecture, which basically covered how GUE came about, why GUE is doing what it is doing, why the fundamentals course, among other subjects. The lecture lasted a little longer than expected and Rob gave us even more homework. EEK! I’ve read many of these Fundamental reports before, but nobody ever mentioned homework. I was already half drained from diving most of the day, so I decided to just go to bed when I get back to the hotel and wake up early to get a start on the homework. The homework were basically some handouts dealing with deep stops, partial pressures, gas management, surface consumption rate, and determining thirds with dissimilar tanks.

So the next morning, I wake up early and do the normal morning routine: shower, get dressed, and eat breakfast. I then start working on the homework to only get through a few out the handouts before having to head to class. Thankfully, Rob informs us that the handouts don’t have to be done until we meet next weekend! Wahoo. After about four hours of mind numbing lecture on gear configuration, buoyancy, trim, propulsion techniques, and the basic five we break for a short lunch and gather our things to head to the pool. For the past month or so I have been dreading the swim test, because of my bad memory of the swim test in my Divemaster class. Thankfully though I did the 300yard swim in 6 minutes and 27 seconds. I was quiet proud of that time even though the altitude kicked my butt during the swim. I found the 50-foot breath hold to be quiet easy and popped up right next to where the Rob was standing to have him look at me and say, “OK”. Next Rob got to have his fun with us as he demonstrated different propulsion techniques and then wanted us to practice them as he filmed us. From the very start Rob emphasized a unified team and told us to practice the kicks as a team by swimming around together. He told us that it would be wise to not solo dive or that “bad things will happen.” Everybody in the team had their strong points and their weak points. As a team, Rob said that we functioned well together, which is a real compliment as I have never dove with anybody else in the class. The other two students know each other, since they work in the same shop, but how often they dive together is beyond my knowledge. My weak points are that my knee’s drop when I’m asked to perform certain kicks and I don’t get the ankle action that I should be getting for other kicks. Also, my situational awareness goes out the window when I’m asked to perform tasks, such as the basic five. When performing the basic five, I not only blinded Rob with my primary light, but I ran him into a wall. Rob pointed out the light to me pretty quickly and I gained enough awareness to try to keep my light pointed down when performing the basic five, but I didn’t even notice that I was charging Rob until he was already pinned to the wall, at which point I attempted to do a backwards kick.

After a few hours in the pool we got out and went back to the shop for a video debrief. The video is very unforgiving. You never think you are doing certain movements until you see yourself on the television. At some points during the video I thought my legs were having convulsions that I wasn’t aware of. It was actually me doing a modified flutter kick, which worked, but at the same time wasn’t efficient because my feet were to tense. I knees dropped when doing a proper flutter kick and my left leg hangs a little lower than my right. All in all it was very humbling and a great learning experience to see me doing things that I was oblivious to. While watching a little bit of video we decided that we needed to drown our sorrows in a little bit of keg beer, conveniently provided by the shop from a spring party. We showed our team building skills by having one person pump the keg, one person operate the spout, and the other person hold the cups. Then we promptly returned to analyze the video a little longer before calling it a night and getting ready for the next day.

Sunday came way to soon for me. The whole daylight savings time kicked my butt since I’m used to Central Standard Time (CST) and Colorado is in Mountain Standard Time (MST), which means that I didn’t just lose one hour of sleep, I lost two! I woke up all groggy eyed and did my morning ritual of getting ready for the day and headed for the shop. After a short discussion on the previous pool session, we decided that we would prefer to have some more pool time. Rob liked the idea and we decided to follow a similar schedule as Saturday. So again, we dove right into lecture, and this time getting into some more complicated subjects such as gas planning, logistics, decompression, physiology, etc that prompted me to take numerous notes, which held up the class some what. I was actually impressed at the detail that the class went into as some of the course material is actually material that you would expect to see in a technical class. I learned quiet a bit over this lecture and we ended up finishing the presentation after a few hours. We then made some adjustments to equipment that needed to be made, did some field drills, and headed back to the pool to have some more humble pie in-front of the camera. We actually looked much better, but still had things to work on. Rob for the most part just let us do our own thing, since this really wasn’t a planned pool session and just filmed us as we practiced the skills learned so far. After a couple hours in the pool we headed back to the shop for more film reviews, while not perfect, was allot better than the previous day in the pool. We then discussed the plan for next week and broke for the weekend.

As the title says, this is only part 1 of 2. Next weekend, March 17, we will be meeting up for our open water portion of the class. I would really like to get some pool dives done this week, but I won’t be able to with my work schedule. Hopefully though, I will be able to do some field drills and work on keeping my knees up while performing kicks. So far this has been an excellent class and I don’t see it getting worse anytime soon. We’ll see how the next dives go…

Great report and glad you like the class. It is definitely funny seeing yourself on video, I remember my best "spastic frog" imitation :)
Have fun on the second half of your class.

I warn you, this GUE training thing is addictive . . . :D

Great report. Looking forward for Part II. Enjoy your class. It is a wonderful experience.

Great report, thanks for taking the time to offer it to us. The Instructor DOES make a difference and it sounds as if you had someone dedicated to make your class worthwhile and your learning opportunity the best it can be.
I can tell you your class description, in terms of handouts, homework, material sent in advance of class, class length, time spent on lecturing, etc was vastly superior to mine.
My guy gave no handouts, except a printed copy of his powerpoint presentation which he charged $25 for and Every email I sent him before the class to ask about gear or the class was returned with a link to the GUE site. No explanation, no answers, just the link.
I drove 585 miles in about 8 hours, the class was all day Friday, swim Friday night, dives Sat 8 am till 6 and Sun 8 am till around 5. Then I had to drive back that night since I had to be in court early Monday morning to begin a trial.
It has been said over and over again, it isnt the agency, its the instructor.

Carribeandiver:
My guy gave no handouts, except a printed copy of his powerpoint presentation which he charged $25 for and Every email I sent him before the class to ask about gear or the class was returned with a link to the GUE site. No explanation, no answers, just the link.

and who was this instructor?
did you inform headquarters about your experience?

the instructor was Mark Messersmith. I completed the course evaluation form today. I wanted to take my time to carefully reflect and consider the course before reporting. I can say I mellowed my frustration but still feel I got poor instruction. I didnt even realize the course could be different until I read amascuba's report. I would take his instuctor over mine anyday, anytime, anywhere.

Carribeandiver:
I drove 585 miles in about 8 hours, the class was all day Friday, swim Friday night, dives Sat 8 am till 6 and Sun 8 am till around 5. Then I had to drive back that night since I had to be in court early Monday morning to begin a trial.
It has been said over and over again, it isnt the agency, its the instructor.

With GUE, I have not found that to be true. I've had 3 instructors and all have been excellent, gone above board and were 100% committed to improving my diving, and would spend as much time as physically possible to get us through the course.

Also, not sure how your instructor is responsible for your court schedule the day after class, or how far you had to drive ...

the one area GUE does need to improve on is general "admin" stuff--getting cards sent out, questions before the course starts etc. but these guys have crazy schedules, so for now I can definitely make some allowances in those areas for what is (IMO) the best dive training you can possibly get today bar none.

The instructor may not be responsible for my work schedule but HE IS responsible for the class schedule and it would have been professional and responsible for him to make that known before the start of class. Especially when I specifically asked him about the syllabus in an email days before the class was to start. The reply was a link to the course syllabus outlined on the GUE website.

$25 for the slides? Screw that, especially after paying $450 for the course.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom