DIR-F Catalina Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ziggys_Friend once bubbled...
So, despite the obvious unfairness in life, we'll probably have to fork up the bucks to take the class again! (Though perhaps at a discount - hint, hint?)

~<//><

I try hard to work with my students, and in fact we usually have former students joining us in subsequent classes if for no other reason then to pick up something they may have missed the first go around. I don't charge former students if they want to sit in on the class again. Bear in mind however that we have a strict 6:1 ratio for in water so that can NOT be violated even if they are former students, so what generally happens is that many sit in on the lecture portions and if there is room under the 6:1 I have no problem if they want to join in.

We're trying to build team diving concepts so the more like minded diver's that meet each other the better, as far as I'm concerned..

So don't worry about the hint hint ;-)

Later

MHK once bubbled...

I try hard to work with my students, and in fact we usually have former students joining us in subsequent classes if for no other reason then to pick up something they may have missed the first go around. I don't charge former students if they want to sit in on the class again. Bear in mind however that we have a strict 6:1 ratio for in water so that can NOT be violated even if they are former students, so what generally happens is that many sit in on the lecture portions and if there is room under the 6:1 I have no problem if they want to join in.

We're trying to build team diving concepts so the more like minded diver's that meet each other the better, as far as I'm concerned..

So don't worry about the hint hint ;-)

Later

Even for the ones who are under the bus? What a guy!

~<//><

P.S. Hummm ... I think I really should start a thread about the wonderful instructors who teach for GUE - what do you think DiverBuoy? I mean, so capable, so kind, so gentle, so noble, ... (and that business of doing the class in a bar? I've never had such considerate instructors before!) But no, upon reflection I wouldn't want anyone to think I was ... U know, Suc**** up to anyone. Oh well, I guess I will have 2 take those truths 2 my grave with me...

What bar? Oh you mean Angelino's Pizza place. Well it didn't help having our video played on the big screen tv and channeled out to all the satellite tvs in the joint, and then having MHK on the microphone over the PA system telling the whole place how badly we messed up! LOL. (just kidding).

DiverBuoy once bubbled...
What bar? Oh you mean Angelino's Pizza place. Well it didn't help having our video played on the big screen tv and channeled out to all the satellite tvs in the joint, and then having MHK on the microphone over the PA system telling the whole place how badly we messed up! LOL. (just kidding).

Angelino's Pizza place? What do you mean?

Oh, oh ... right ... I get it - mum's the word on the B** (sorry, I fergot) ... okay DiverBuoy, I'm with you now, how could I have been so confused (have you made sure Mot2vation and the rest ... remember correctly too?)!

Of course we had class in a PIZZA place … oh yes, I remember that deep dish double stuffed combo with the anchovies … washed down by (ooops, never mind).

How could I forgot so soon. As I said before, what … caring instructors they are!

~<//><

Ziggys_Friend once bubbled...

Angelino's Pizza place? What do you mean?

Oh, oh ... right ... I get it - mum's the word on the B** (sorry, I fergot) ... okay DiverBuoy, I'm with you now, how could I have been so confused (have you made sure Mot2vation and the rest ... remember correctly too?)!

Of course we had class in a PIZZA place … oh yes, I remember that deep dish double stuffed combo with the anchovies … washed down by (ooops, never mind).

How could I forgot so soon. As I said before, what … caring instructors they are!

~<//><

Weren't you hinting about some type of discount???

;-)

MHK once bubbled...

Weren't you hinting about some type of discount???

;-)

Right ... to set the record straight. If you're ever in Catalina, please do try Angelino's Pizza place. Good food and good memories of a wonderful DIR-F class.

:D

~<//><

P.S. Sorry about that Chief

DiverBuoy once bubbled...

Mike Ferrara, I agree with profiling even for diving as simple as leap from the swim step at Catalina and dive till rock bottom in 30 feet of water and surface swim back to the boat. Ugly yes, do you live yes. The three approaches that MHK gave us covered rule-of-thirds, all useable supply, and a hybrid involving deco stops (help me out if I'm not using the correct terminology). By fully discussing what we would do in each contingency and how and why we should choose each profile, we are better equipped from the start for dive planning and for doing the dive. It serves as a checks-and-balances and a final check list as well.

The three different methods all are derived from the Rock Bottom concept. Once you've figured out your Rock Bottom, which is the gas supply that you need to reserve for you and your buddy to surface in an OOA emergency, you need to figure out how to best utilize the remaining "useable" gas supply.

1) All useable, for Cayman, Cozumel type diving where the boat follows you and you don't need to get back..

2) 1/2 useable meaning getting back to the boat is optional but not critical, such as the type of diving we do in SoCal.

3) 1/3rds, when getting back to the line or exit point is necessary..

Hope that helps..

Let me know if you need anything else..

Later

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom