DIR and Pony in position of canister light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ericfine50 once bubbled...
WYDT,

No, I meant rig as a deco/stage. Java said he has seen some divers rig the bottle on the hip like a light canister. I thought that would not work for anything larger than a 6 cu ft. bottle.

Sorry I was not clear,
Eric

Oops, sorry Eric. You're right there.... pony where the cannister goes would not be good if larger than 6cuft.

He COULD rig it like the Argon bottle is rigged on the left for wreck. A lot of guys use the 14cu ft lp argon bottle rigged that way. Of course it would be pretty hard to hand off (if you were using is as a pony instead of Argon).

All in all I agree... if you've got to have a "pony" rig it like a stage!

DSAO!

Spectre once bubbled...

I have always perferred closed, which is why I couldn't keep my pony on my back when I moved to my BP/Wings [couldn't reach the valve].

Yes, it's task loading, but it's no more task loading than shutting down a valve on doubles... and it is something you've been practicing in your free time during dives.... right? :)

Now I believe the concept of having it closed in the DIR methods is to get you used to turning them on when you use them. In multi-mix dives, you'll have your MOD and mix info on your tank, not on your regulator. Check the bottle, turn it on. Take a breath from the reg. If you don't get gas, most likely your not sucking on the right regulator.

Yep, that and to avoid gas loss when you can't see the reg. I was doing a scooter dive a few months ago and my buddy was in front of me. I noticed his stage reg start bubbling away (not totally freeflowing but definately loosing gas) so I flashed him and reminded him to shut off his valve. If I hadn't seen that he'd probably just have thought he had a terrible SAC rate or something... haha :eek:

When I first moved to Jupiter, FL. I went diving with a local boat that uses a guide system for all their drift diving. All the divers followed the guide with the flag. After a couple of trips with this operator, I noticed that the guides were all using some sort of pony bottle rig. I figured that essentially they were diving by themselves and had it in case they or any other diver in the group needed it. These bottles had the same as their back gas EANx36% and were attached to the side of their single tank by a variety of methods.
After a couple of trips I was asked to come and be a guide on the weekdays. I brought along an AL40 STAGE filled with 50/50 and properly marked. All of our dives were 80’ to the sand 60’ top of the reef. I would explain to the divers in the group that in case of low on air/out of air emergency, I would donate my Primary regulator and switch to my back up. We would make a slow ascent and the STAGE would be used if we needed it for the ascent/safety stop. I carried the stage clipped off to my left side on chest and hip D-Ring. The bottle was charged(gas in the system) and OFF. I never really felt it in the way of anything being used to Double 104’s and AL80s as stages this was quite nice. Single 80 and Al 40 STAGE. While I never had to use it on any of those dives, I was thanked for bringing the extra gas just in case. I only lasted about 6 trips before the solo diving (no real dive buddy) concern kicked in. Even though there was at anytime between 2 and 8 tanks and regulators within feet from me, I would not call that a buddy.
Unfortunately for ALL I stopped going as a guide and only go back when I have a buddy.

My buddy and I did plan to take a trip down to dive the Spiegel Grove. We wanted to do 4 dives that day and decided to take our Al40 Stage (50/50) for the ascents and stops from 70’. While these dives would have been considered within recreational limits 4 dives in a day with the Florida sun can wear you out. Unfortunately we could not get them refilled before our second 2 dives and decided to not do the 2nd trip. Instead we had lunch and rented wave runners for the afternoon. How can you go wrong when you are in the Keys on a MONDAY?

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom