DIR and Photography

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rainer

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm not an UW photographer, but was curious how shooting photos works for those who are DIR. I've noticed that most photographers I see underwater are oblivious to their buddies. Even those who are more aware are still going to be *less* buddy aware when lining up shots. Just wondering what those of you who are DIR and photogs do. Thanks.

Ben_ca:
I'm not a photog but there are a bunch here in Monterey that subscribe to the DIR way of diving. Here's some of their websites....

http://www.metridium.com/

http://www.coldwaterimages.com/

http://www.divesitevideos.com/aboutus.htm

When I do dive with DIR guys with cameras we talk about the "mission" (macro, kelp, whatever photography subject he's looking for) and where he wants me and I in hand will stay there watching him shoot and making sure he doesn't lose SA of our team

I guess my worry is what if YOU have a problem? I have this terrible picture in my mind of the distressed diver waving frantically as the photog continues to line up the "perfect" shot, oblivious to all...

The Photog is keeping track of you passively because you have your light in his field of view but out of the shot.... sometimes I have my beam near his subject but take it off when I see he's about to take the shot

If you prioritize doing so, you can retain a fair awareness of your surroundings while doing photography, at least enough so a frantic light signal from an OOA buddy would get through.

If you are doing really serious photography (i.e. magazine shoots), then that becomes the team goal. You would dive with three people on a team, and the two would support each other and the photographer.

Rainer:
I'm not an UW photographer, but was curious how shooting photos works for those who are DIR. I've noticed that most photographers I see underwater are oblivious to their buddies. Even those who are more aware are still going to be *less* buddy aware when lining up shots. Just wondering what those of you who are DIR and photogs do. Thanks.

A few years ago JJ mentioned that dives involving a photographer or videographer are very problematic for DIR folks due to the reasons you mention. When we do video we pretty much always do it in a team of 3 because the guy behind the camera can't be an effective buddy to anybody. So the other 2 are basically a 2-man buddy team whose job it is to also watch out for the photog.

A few years ago JJ mentioned that dives involving a photographer or videographer are very problematic for DIR folks due to the reasons you mention

I knew it. I respect him for saying that.

yikes, in DIR...sorry.

Rainer:

I am a very part-time photographer (because I suck at it and lack the patience) and dive regularly with GUE instructors that are shooting photos. As covered below, photographers are less aware of their buddies no matter how good they are in the water. However, since photography in the DIR world is a team event the other teammates just take a more active role in team communication and awareness. More pre-dive planning is involved. In a two man team (not optimal for photography) one means of keeping the team in better communication is to use the other buddy as the model. (It allows the photographer to focus on the subject and his buddy.) A third member (which can "rotate" duties with the other non-photo teammate) to help keep the team together is the best solution. Otherwise, it takes a buddy that is willing to sacrifice a fair amount of their dive actively communicating with the photographer. I have found other photographers tend to better understand the need to do this (but only if they themselves don't have a camera on that dive.)

All of this still requires the photographer to have the discipline to react immediately if he is not receiving the active communication form the other teammate. All new photographers and most more experienced photographers are fairly deficient in this area as it is very easy to become competely focused on the photos.

Remember, the two buddies on your team are also your sherpas. Let them hold your other cameras and video. They are also good for bringing more video lights/strobes to fill out the shot. Just like Wes Skiles does in the caves. He is on the camera/video and has a few other divers firing off the strobes around the cave to get full area lit.

Now, I have never seen a buddy team credited with a copyright. How you pay ($, love, beer) the sherpas is up to you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom