DIN, Yoke, or both? What would you do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My reg is DIN and my tank is both...and I went ahead and got the adapter for when I travel. I knew before I bouight anything though. I spent the cash up front so there would be no upgrade costs other than the DIN to Yoke adapter.

First choice valve: 232 DIN with yoke converter insert.
Second choice valve: Yoke valve
Last choice valve: 300 DIN

Convert some or all of your regulators to DIN depending on price. The DIN 300 valve is just too limited unless you really need 4000+ psi

I prefer DIN, even for standard recreational diving. All but a couple of my tanks are convertible valves (so I can loan, since my regs are all DIN), but I never use them any way but DIN, personally.

I like DIN better because it protects the o-ring more. Tanks tend to be slung around, have stuff piled on top in the back of the car, and otherwise mistreated like the sturdy things they are. The tanks can take quite a bit of abuse, no problem... the o-rings cannot, and the abuse they take frequently results in damaged o-rings that have to be replaced, generally at the last minute while you're sweating in a thick wetsuit or sealed drysuit trying to figure out why your first stage is hissing, and tearing into the save-a-dive kit to dig out a tool to replace yet another o-ring in yet another poorly-maintained rental tank. No thanks. By comparison, regulators tend to be treated with care and carefully coiled up and put into padded bags, etc. This means the o-ring in a DIN reg is babied as well, and in addition to being bigger and beefier than a yoke o-ring, results in o-rings lasting FAR longer. Since there is no o-ring on the valve size of the DIN valve, the normal tank [mis]treatment doesn't result in damaged o-rings.

If you own your own tanks or can rent DIN, I vastly prefer DIN for that reason. There are other reasons, but they mostly amount to personal preference... the o-ring issue, however, is clearly in favor of DIN.

... This means the o-ring in a DIN reg is babied as well, and in addition to being bigger and beefier than a yoke o-ring, results in o-rings lasting FAR longer. Since there is no o-ring on the valve size of the DIN valve, the normal tank [mis]treatment doesn't result in damaged o-rings.

That is my reasoning as well. No o-ring in the valve = no lost or damaged o-rings. How many times have we all heard the snap-hiss of a yoke o-ring failure.:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom