DIN to Yoke adaptor questions.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxE

Contributor
Reaction score
I apoloize if these have been answered in previous posts but the search function is less than great and I could not find them.

Is there any reason why I need to have the same brand DIN to Yoke adaptor as 1st stage?

Assuming there is no reason not to keep them the same brand, what DIN to Yoke adapters to people like and why, dislike and why?

thanks in advance.

There is no reason at all. I have several Atomic adapters which are close to, if not the most expensive, and I have several HOG adapters (OK, I have a lot of HOG adapters), probably the lowest cost, and they both do the same job and work well on all my various 1st stages.

As stated, any adaptor will do. However some are lower profile and therefore don't hit the back of your head as much. Some have a softer, rubber knob. So when you do touch it with your head it doesn't hurt as much.

As stated, any adaptor will do. However some are lower profile and therefore don't hit the back of your head as much. Some have a softer, rubber knob. So when you do touch it with your head it doesn't hurt as much.

Except the knob isn't pointing towards your head unless your tank is turned around.

I've never noticed any difference in terms of head clearance between one brand of adapter and another. They all push the reg out, and for me, they're very uncomfortable.

The Poseidon ones actually are a little tighter tolerance and are maybe 1/4" shorter than the rest but they are all pretty uncomfortable to use. I usually rotate the tank about 15-20 degrees to offset the first stage if I have to use one, but I usually try to bring a yoke first stage if I know I'm going to have to backmount it.

Except the knob isn't pointing towards your head unless your tank is turned around.

I've never noticed any difference in terms of head clearance between one brand of adapter and another. They all push the reg out, and for me, they're very uncomfortable.

Doh. You are right, the knob does point away. Can you tell I never use my adaptor? :)

just get whatever is cheapest.

300 Bar Din to Yoke Adapter
Din to Yoke Converter 200 bar
both should stick out about the same, the 300 bar just has more threads, not really needed.

Balance Diaphragm Yoke First Stage "Cold Water Version #804"
apparently they have the rebuild kits, so may be worth looking at.

You could also call DiveRightinScuba and see if they sell the Edge EXP first stage without the second, though it's only $160 for a first and second stage. If you're going to regularly be diving a yoke only tank that doesn't have a convertible valve, it really is best to have a second first stage to switch over to. If you're only doing it once or twice a year then an adapter is fine.

That's what I thought. At this stage getting another 1st stage is pretty much out of the question. So what are the shorter ones? Less expensive ones?

Different manufacturers just have different designs. Some have small knobs. If you just google for them and look at the images you can see some are smaller than others. I bought an old Poseidon adaptor off ebay because it was on sale. I think I paid $10

I just ensure shops have convertible valves and I carry a few allen wrenches (not all inserts use the same size wrench; e.g. Genesis uses a much bigger wrench than the Thermo valves). Or if I buy used tanks I tried to find them with convertible valves. If I cannot find convertible I can buy used tanks and new valves then switch out the valves. Right now I'm in Dallas and I just bought new tanks while I'm here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom