DIMWIT Attitude

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zinc

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
My DIMWIT dive manual is full of attitude, rich in ideas, yet remains light as an empty binder. This makes it quick to reference and easy to quote from when someone is derogatory towards my dive choices because they may be different.

It’s about Doing It My Way In Texas, safely.
Maybe it should be DIMWITs?

If there is a different way to do something, perhaps better, I like to know about it and the reasoning behind it, without obligation to accept it. I seek the best training available from different instructors and programs and practice regularly. I make educated choices regarding the equipment I dive, its configuration, the dive types and plans, gas mixes, even the colors I wear. I don’t require that those I dive with do it just like me, just do it safely. I am well trained, skilled, and properly equipped for the diving I do. I am solely responsible for my own life and dive decisions. I dive in Texas.

To me, DIMWIT diving is a humorous response to those who are eager to assert themselves as superior or deride others as “wrong” because they do it differently. While absolutely NOT a substitute for ANY type of training, the DIMWIT attitude and logo may be used as a tool to detect demeaning types, especially if they are quick to correct that “the stripe on the flag is pointing the wrong way.”

Really? I didn’t know, thanks for the warning.

Attachments

• DIMWITlogo1.jpg
    DIMWITlogo1.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 46
Can I add as a preface to the manual?

PERFECT, Brandon!! You definitely hit the nail on the head with your explanation! Right on!

I have a dive flag purchased from a reputable LDS. It is made of some sort of plastic material, and it is at least partially see-through. (There's a point to this, trust me...) Well, ONE side has the stripe correct, but view it from the other side and--voila'--the stripe looks just like yours!

My point is much like your "vision statement"...neither side of the flag should be considered 'wrong'. Both serve the same function, which is to keep divers below safe. To argue that one side is superior to the other is simply nitpicking, since only a dolt would say, "Hey, that's not a REAL dive flag on that float, so I'll just ignore it." Both are valid. It's just a matter of viewpoint.

Your stripe on your logo is correct...from your side of the shirt, anyway. I think it's very fitting for all of us prospective DIMWITS!

Can't wait to get a T-shirt!

It looks like my question about the stripe shows I am a DIMWIT....Besides, as we have all learned, the dive flag is recognized only as a reference for boat drivers to point their boat. The safety sausage is the actual target they aim for. Enough divers in the water and the skiiers have a slalom course.

Dive Safe this weekend.....

It looks like my question about the stripe shows I am a DIMWIT....Besides, as we have all learned, the dive flag is recognized only as a reference for boat drivers to point their boat. The safety sausage is the actual target they aim for. Enough divers in the water and the skiiers have a slalom course.

Dive Safe this weekend.....

How true!!!!!!

Can I add as a preface to the manual?

That seems like an excellent idea Craig!

Let us know what the printing costs will be for the manuscript...

i.e. the ink cartridge use, printer paper use, wear and tear on the 3 hole puncher, etc.

I'd suggest just using bulk binder clips and let everyone get their own 3 hole plastic binders, or whatever.

Just a thought.

So, has anyone considered making the manual a "Sticky" in TSD?

It would need to be completed to more that "Draft" status. So far Mack and I are the only ones that have contributed, although I have cut and pasted Zinc's bit into it but haven't heard from him if it's okay yet.

Bottom line is that I'm pretty sure it could be fleshed out more.

Enough divers in the water and the skiiers have a slalom course.
:rofl3:

Especially at Lake Possum Kingdom! (And if it's not skiiers, it's JET SKIIERS!)

And the manual looks great so far. Alas, I'm totally at a loss for "words of wisdom" to add. Therefore, I shall simply await in anticipation the glorious results of others' talents.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom