Digital SLR and SB 105's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divesherpa

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I have some SB 105's that I've used with Nikonos V for the last few years. I would like to transition to digital SLR. I would prefer to use an Ikelite housing. Are there any cameras that the strobes will work with (using TTL)? The replacement cost of new strobes is overwhelming ($1500 for a decent pair).

Any information on this subject would be greatly appreciated.
Jamie

I use 2 sb105s with my D70 on manual. No TTL though.

Fuji S2 is the only dSLR camera that will work with conventional TTL strobe. I am not familiar with sb105s but if it works with film SLR camera in TTL mode then the S2 will be ok but definitely not with the more recent dSLRs.

SSRA, do you know where I could find more information on strobe compatibility with the S2? That is the camera that I was drooling over when I decided to go digital.
I work with an Ikelite dealer, so I would probably have to go that way.

Jamie

Divesherpa:
SSRA, do you know where I could find more information on strobe compatibility with the S2? That is the camera that I was drooling over when I decided to go digital.
I work with an Ikelite dealer, so I would probably have to go that way.

Jamie

Hi Jamie

although I usually shoot manually with the S2 I did run it through some major tests in TTL mode both with the SB 105 and SB 104. it performes quite well. adjusting the output via the flash compensation feature produced VERY nice results both in Macro and wide angle.

chris

Chris, thanks for the input. I looked through your gallery a few days ago for the first time. Your images are astounding. I use the anemone shot (with sun in center of V and awesome sky) as my background on my laptop. Everyone who has seen it has commented about it (positively). I hope this isn't copyright infringement(?).

What is your normal setup? What do you use for lenses, camera, housing, and strobe?
If you would PM me or post here, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Jamie

SSRA is right the Fuji DSLRs are the only ones that work with standard TTL. Most DSLRs require a small preflash to judge the exposure.

But the Light and Motion Titan housing for the Nikon D100 has controls on the handle that let you control the strobe strength manually. Here's a link to L&M's Titan web page:
http://www.uwimaging.com/products/photo_housings/titan_d100/index.htm

I've got the Titan and I'm very impressed with the quality of the housing. I'm using the housing with two SB105s but I've only used this setup on one trip. So far I can't shoot as fast with this rig as I used to when using a film camera with TTL. I have to think, adjust the strobe strength and aperture, and then shoot and then check to see I got the right exposure. I expect that the more I use the rig the more instinctive setting the strobe strength will be.

And the extra time setting up the shot is more than made up for by being able to check the exposure after each shot.

I uploaded some pictures from that trip to my gallery. However, I'm definitely no Chris Bangs but it gives me something to shoot for.
Luke

Thanks Luke,
Why did you choose the d100 over the d70?

>Why did you choose the d100 over the d70?

I got my D100 to use as a land camera before the D70 came out. At the time I bought it I figured I would keep using my film camera underwater. Back then I was using an N90 in a Subal housing.

It didn't take me long with the D100 to fall in love with the digital work flow. Last year I finally broke down and got the Titan housing. Now I just need to on some more trips.
Luke

Luke,
Come on down to south Florida. I'm learning the area, but some of the folks on here are excellent guides (Scubakevdm comes to mind). There are a lot of photographers around here. I'm leaning more toward video now. The setup that I wanted (D70, about 10 lenses, ports, strobes, and housing) would cost more than I have, so it looks like video may be the way to go.

Cheers,
Jamie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom