Digital photo storage on trips... no more laptops!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow, pretty cool! Certainly less of a hassle than a laptop, but $500 (say $450 retail) is still a pretty large chunk of change. Now where did I put that lottery ticket?

-Roman.

Don't forget the other alternatives, i.e. MindStor (10-30GB), Archos Multimedia Jukebox (10-20GB which I have), Image Tank (10-60GB), Nixvue Vista (10-?GB) and the newly announced Nixvue ? that records to CD-R. I just bought the Archos for about $350 with the adapter to read CF cards and the optional camera (which I'll never use). It has the added advantage of recording mpgs and mp3 audio files, so I don't have to take CDs and a player on vacation.

it is only Compact Flash - how about Sony Memory Stick? Or do any of those other devices so far mentioned take them?

Cheers
Jonathan

any flash memory card
That's all they say - not really specific is it. Guess we will have to wait until closer to release time to find out.

Scubaroo once bubbled...
TedJ,

Do any of these products have the integrated LCD screen for viewing the images? I'm not familiar with them.

If I remember correctly the Image tanks and MindStors do not allow for image viewing. The Nixvue Vista and Archos do and so does one of the others (name escapes me).

Do a google search or eBay search on:
Nixvue
Digital wallet
Image tank

You should come up with some hits.

I chose the Archos partly because there is a larger installed base of product out there and the company is more likely to be in business in the future. Unlike the one that just bit the dust.

Jonathan once bubbled...
it is only Compact Flash - how about Sony Memory Stick? Or do any of those other devices so far mentioned take them?

Cheers
Jonathan

I believe that one of the Image Tanks will take Sony cards. But you can also get a 4 to 1 adapter that will allow for all the types of memory cards to be read by a CF reader. I got one from insidecomputer on eBay for about $25. Do an eBay search on "Compact Flash adapter" and you should get hits for them.

Most of these other units will not read Sony's proprietary cards. Here we go with Betamax again!

my Sony and will gladly take anyones memory sticks off them if they convert :D

I really must get up to toy town and have a look at whats available these days....

thanks
Jonathan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom