Digital manipulations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bladephotog:
Some times a good crop can really help a photo.
I usually feel better after a healthy crop.

Joe

Did I say that out loud?

bladephotog:
I agree for the most part. But there is a big difference between cropping for aestetic reasons and cropping because you weren't close enough. Some times a good crop can really help a photo.

Agreed! There are also times when the camera's aspect ratio just doesn't "fit" the shot you want. Crop is the only way to fix that. And sometimes a pesky little fish might wander across the edge of your frame that you don't notice until later. Then it's crop or clone. But generally speaking, relying on a crop to get your frame is a bad habit. Learning to frame while under the "pressure" of the dive is a good habit.

Absolutely. Sometimes you want an extreme horizontal or vertical to add impact. But the bottom line is that the less you have to do in Photoshop the better off you are. Photoshop is a great tool but it can't make a crappy photo a great one.

Tortuga Roja:
Agreed! There are also times when the camera's aspect ratio just doesn't "fit" the shot you want. Crop is the only way to fix that. And sometimes a pesky little fish might wander across the edge of your frame that you don't notice until later. Then it's crop or clone. But generally speaking, relying on a crop to get your frame is a bad habit. Learning to frame while under the "pressure" of the dive is a good habit.

bladephotog:
I agree for the most part. But there is a big difference between cropping for aestetic reasons and cropping because you weren't close enough. Some times a good crop can really help a photo.
oh yes, very very true....

but..i am just stirring the pot about manipulating photos and what some people consider acceptable others do not....

Jcsgt:
So Dennis really is getting that close? And you taught him how to do that?

Since I use a 100mm lens I don't have to get quite as close as a 60mm but yes, I try to get as close as possible. Master Veitch taught me that and I take the time to get the shot I'm looking for. That said, I do crop sometimes but as little as possible.

By all means stir away! Heck I'll stir some more. Even lens selection is a form of manipulation. As is the aperature we choose.

Where do you draw the line?

And now I'm off to Kingston, Ontario for five days of wreck diving. Have fun kids.

Mike Veitch:
oh yes, very very true..

but..i am just stirring the pot about manipulating photos and what some people consider acceptable others do not....

bladephotog:
By all means stir away! Heck I'll stir some more. Even lens selection is a form of manipulation. As is the aperature we choose.

Where do you draw the line?

And now I'm off to Kingston, Ontario for five days of wreck diving. Have fun kids.

dive safe blade, bring back some photos :D

Danger of manipulations.Reuters drops Beirut photographer

The news agency Reuters has withdrawn from sale 920 pictures taken by a photographer after finding he had doctored two images taken in Lebanon.
Bloggers first spotted that smoke on Adnan Hajj's image of the aftermath of an Israeli air strike in Beirut appeared to have been made darker.
A Reuters investigation confirmed this and also found two flares had been added to an image of an Israeli jet.
Mr Hajj told the BBC he denied doctoring the content of the images.
He said had tried to clean dust off the first image, a shot of buildings in a suburb of Beirut, on which Reuters found smoke plumes had been darkened and expanded using computer software.
"It was so badly done - an amateur could have done better," Bob Bodman, picture editor at the Daily Telegraph newspaper, told the BBC.
Mr Hajj, a freelance photographer working for Reuters, denied altering the second photograph, an image of an Israeli F-16 fighter over Nabatiyeh in southern Lebanon.
"There's no problem with it, not at all," he said in a BBC interview.
'Lapse'
Paul Holmes, editor of political and general news at Reuters, told the BBC that senior photographers at the agency "weren't convinced" that cleaning dust off the first image would result in the manipulation the image showed.
He said there had been a "lapse in our editing process", but stressed that Reuters had moved swiftly to address the issue and tighten editing procedures.
Global picture editor Tom Szlukovenyi said all of Adnan Hajj's images had been removed from the company's database.
He described it as a precautionary measure, but said the manipulation undermined trust in Mr Hajj's entire body of work.
"There is no graver breach of Reuters standards for our photographers than the deliberate manipulation of an image," Mr Szlukovenyi said in a statement.
Questions were raised about the accuracy of the image on Sunday in several weblogs - personal online diaries by writers known as "bloggers" - including ones which scrutinise media coverage of the Middle East for bias.
Mr Holmes said Reuters welcomed the growth of weblogs, which had made the media "much more accountable and more transparent".

Like to beat a dead horse, eh?

Surely you realize the huge difference between documenting world events through photography and the invidualistic and very much subjective art photography. I don't know, maybe just maybe that's why there are organizations like Reuters that impose rules on the photographs while there is no such organization to constrain art photographers. Nor should there be.

Altering a photo for the purpose of making it more newsworthy is definitely unethical. Altering the colors of a photo for artistic purposes is part of the art form. Apples and Oranges here.

Back
Top Bottom