digital housing or camara

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aquasport

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have a digital camara, should i get a housing for the digital or buy a underwater, the sea and sea mx10 with a strobe, or is the flash on my digital ok. I dont have a strobe on my digital camara. Thanks.

Which digital? I depends on what you already have and what kind of pictures you expect.

And how much you want to spend.

It's a kodak easy share dx4330. The sea and sea is about as much as i want to spend but im thinking if my digital will take better pics i'll buy a housing. L ike said it doesen't have a strobe though.

i started with an MX5 - and went to digital w/housing. best advice i ever got. i think the advice went something like 'ditch the mx5' :eek:ut:

definitely cut my costs down, allowed a heck of a lot of leeway to experiment, and got some video snips to boot.

here's some example pretty much from my first dive with the new toy.

oh, one more thing - plan to invest some time finetuning your bouyancy control.

Sorry, but there is no housing available for your camera.
Digideep.com, which is the best resource we have for finding housing/camera compatibilities, only losts the Ewa-Marine plactic bag time solution.

You didn't say how much you wanted to spend and I'm not current on film camera prices. One big digital advantage is instant feedback so you can see your photos immediately and can re-take them if needed. With film you'll have to wait until the film is developed before you know if any pics came out like you wanted.
One thing to take into consideration is the cost of film and the processing and printing of that film. That quickly mounts up.

I guess its the sea n sea mx10. About 350 is the max i'll spend. Hats off to ya for checking for me DEE i wouldnt have known how to find that out.

The MX-10 is a great camera, I used one for several years. There are a few things you can do to help cutdown on the backscatter. Good luck!

lanun,

As for what you mentioned about buoyance control...
"oh, one more thing - plan to invest some time finetuning your buoyancy control."

.... so what was your (and anybody) experience with buoyance after carrying photo gear ?! Adding more weight, removing it ?!

Thanks

Well I know they camera's are definatley positively bouyant as mine always wants to float to the surface...
I think what lanun was trying to get at was you need to be very still when you take the picture or else you will get blurry images. This is especially true on digitals. I don't have a digital U/W housing as they don't make one for my camera but the blurry effect is very evident on land shots - even with the slightest jiggle. The effects are not as bad on a film camera...
Don't know if you bought it yet but didn't Sea&Sea just release a small digital camera too? You may want to spend the extra $100 or so for the digital (I'm not sure exactly what the $$$ difference is but I thinks it worth a check)
Like Dee said, you get immediate feedback from a digital as when you get your film back you may not recall what you did to get that shot(for better or for worse, in my case usually worse) which makes it harder to improve future shots. And then you have all the processing costs... this adds up fast. In the long run you will likely be saving $$$ by going digital.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom