Digital Foci Photo Safe - no more laptop!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JMcBrew

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey guys/gals! It's been a while since I posted anything, but I had to post something about my new toy (I only found one brief mention of it on the board).

We go down to the Caribbean every year for a sailing and diving vacation. There are usually 8-10 people in all, and most of us have a digital camera (or two) with us. I have always been the one to bring a laptop, so that everyone can dump their memory cards. I really didn't enjoy this, as my laptop is big, heavy, and has an old battery that won't hold a charge for 5 minutes. Not to mention having to take it out four times in airports while I'm trying to take my shoes off, and randomly having it selected for drug/explosive testing.

Well, this year I bought a 120GB Digital Foci Photo Safe. For those who are not familiar with this unit, it is basically a battery-powered external hard drive with memory card slots. You turn it on, plug a memory card into it, and press a button. Everything on the card is copied over to the hard drive. You can then choose to erase the card (or not). It copies at about the same speed as any card reader, and also verifies the copy before you take the card out. It works with pretty much any type of memory card, although some might require an adapter.

Every time you make a backup, a new folder is created. This helps to keep everyone's photos organized. All files are copied, including photos, RAW, videos, or any other files that are on the memory card. You can also create partitions to keep things more organized.

The Photo Safe is also a fully functional external hard drive. When connected to your computer, it is USB powered (so you don't need an AC adapter). It's internal battery can be charged from a USB port or the included AC adapter. Of course, you can get a 12v adapter, too.

The unit is a little bigger than an iPod, but about the same shape. It has a simple LCD screen that tells you how much disk space is left, battery status, how many files were copied, etc. There is no photo-preview function (although they have models that do... for much more $$$).

I have only had it for a few days, but it works great with CF, MS, MS pro/duo (with adapter), and SD cards. I can't wait to travel without my laptop from now on!

I have an 80Gb being delivered today - can't wait to check it out!!

I bought a similar 80GB device from Wolverine this January. What a godsend. I just came back from Cozumel, where I was shooting in Raw format for over 15 days. on prior trips, without the storage unit, I've had to preview in the camera & chuck all but the most promissing photos without ever seeing them on a large screen, while I filled my 6 1GB XD cards. It also meant starting dives with partly filled cards & running out of space once in a while, which as you know is when you see seahorses, eagle rays etc.

With the storage device I dumped each days shooting in the evening & was good to go the next day, I was spared the dilemma of trying to decide whether to keep or chuck photo's without really seeing them. Back home I was able to review all my shots, the good, bad & ugly.

As I said, these little devices are a godsend. Now what do I do for an 80 day dive trip?
I can dream, can't I. fb

I have the Epson P-3000. It's not as big.....40GB.... but that is actually huge, even in RAW. It has a 4 inch screen so that you can view pictures as well.

I looked at the ones where you can also view the photos but those are in the $300+ range where the 80G photosafe was like $140 - with that price difference I can just look at the photos on my camera LCD. The preview ones are cool but just couldn't justify that price difference.

Well, this year I bought a 120GB Digital Foci Photo Safe. For those who are not familiar with this unit, it is basically a battery-powered external hard drive with memory card slots. You turn it on, plug a memory card into it, and press a button. Everything on the card is copied over to the hard drive. You can then choose to erase the card (or not). It copies at about the same speed as any card reader, and also verifies the copy before you take the card out. It works with pretty much any type of memory card, although some might require an adapter.
Every time you make a backup, a new folder is created. This helps to keep everyone's photos organized. All files are copied, including photos, RAW, videos, or any other files that are on the memory card. You can also create partitions to keep things more organized.
The Photo Safe is also a fully functional external hard drive. When connected to your computer, it is USB powered (so you don't need an AC adapter). It's internal battery can be charged from a USB port or the included AC adapter. Of course, you can get a 12v adapter, too.
The unit is a little bigger than an iPod, but about the same shape. It has a simple LCD screen that tells you how much disk space is left, battery status, how many files were copied, etc. There is no photo-preview function (although they have models that do... for much more $$$).
I have only had it for a few days, but it works great with CF, MS, MS pro/duo (with adapter), and SD cards. I can't wait to travel without my laptop from now on!
Website .... Digital Foci: Photo Safe Portable Picture Storage
... 3.6" screen model ... Digital Foci: Picture Porter Elite 3.6" Portable Picture Viewer
I bought a similar 80GB device from Wolverine this January. What a godsend. I just came back from Cozumel, where I was shooting in Raw format for over 15 days. on prior trips, without the storage unit, I've had to preview in the camera & chuck all but the most promissing photos without ever seeing them on a large screen, while I filled my 6 1GB XD cards. It also meant starting dives with partly filled cards & running out of space once in a while, which as you know is when you see seahorses, eagle rays etc.
With the storage device I dumped each days shooting in the evening & was good to go the next day, I was spared the dilemma of trying to decide whether to keep or chuck photo's without really seeing them. Back home I was able to review all my shots, the good, bad & ugly.
Website ... Storage , 2.5" storage/viewer , 3.6" storage/viewer ... External Hard Drives
I have the Epson P-3000. It's not as big.....40GB.... but that is actually huge, even in RAW. It has a 4 inch screen so that you can view pictures as well.
Website ... Epson P-3000, Overview - Product Information - Epson America, Inc.

Sounds good, but why not just bring a high powered light weight (< 3 lbs) notebook like a PC Vaio or Mac? A great deal of storage, plus editing software and the ability of transferring dive profiles from dive computers. Plus e-mail and web access.

Dan

If you have one, and can bring it, all the better, but these options are for those that might not have one, don't want to worry about caring for one, or paying for one

The 'preview' units are probably also limited in terms of formats, e.g. certain camera RAW formats (like Olympus) likely won't display. If I were going for one of these (and I'm very interested, although I already have a laptop I'm planning to bring on my next trip) I'd be most interested in the pure auto-copy 'anything' from a card feature.

Thanks for the info - both the OP and others. I'll look into one of these. I've got to make sure it accepts standard CF (my Olympus E330) as well as SDHC (my wife's small Panasonic Lumix snapshot camera for above water). Strangely enough my laptop has a built-in reader that supports everything BUT standard CF! (SD/MS/MSpro/MMC, even XD, but not CF). So I already bought an external multiformat reader (hard to find just pure 'CF only' readers these days) but as y'all said, taking just a hard drive is way easier than taking a whole laptop....

The 'preview' units are probably also limited in terms of formats, e.g. certain camera RAW formats (like Olympus) likely won't display.
My Epson does Olympus...and others. If a new format comes out with a camera Epson puts out a new firmware.

Back
Top Bottom