Digital Cameras

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaRik:
Recently I went on a cruise and wanted a good land camera and also wanted something descent to dive with. I purchased a Canon A70 and an underwater enclosure for it. Great shots both ways. Enclosure good for 130 feet.

Hi ScubaRik,

Thanks for the info on the cannon A70 I was just considering getting that one myself.Has anybody got the A70 and what do they think please ?
I am also considering the Sealife DC 310, same again has anybody used one and what are the results like ?

Thanks in anticipation,

Mick H. :jaws:

Mick H:
Hi ScubaRik,

Thanks for the info on the cannon A70 I was just considering getting that one myself.Has anybody got the A70 and what do they think please ?
QUOTE]

Go with the Canon. I used a Canon A20 for a couple of years and then used a friend's Canon A70 this Jan & Feb. I did a lot of dives and really learned how to use the features of this camera (with Canon's housing). It takes excellent photos and is easy to learn & maintain. It's P function works really well, but the manual control is the way to go. I was also able to make it work with my old Ikelite 50 and slave, which was excellent! Canon also has the A80 which is 4MP. I just bought another A70 as 3.2 MP is all I needed and it was a good deal.

Recently printed an underwater pic at 8x10 on my cheapo Canon 330 printer - it came out fabulous.

good luck!

I also have the Canon A70 and the Canon housing for it. I've taken it with me on two dive vacations and I'm really glad I bought it. Easy to use and takes great pics. Now I just gotta get more comfortable using the manual mode and maybe I'll move on to adding a lens adapter and a strobe.

Mick H:
Hi ScubaRik,

I am also considering the Sealife DC 310, same again has anybody used one and what are the results like ?

Thanks in anticipation,

Mick H. :jaws:
Check out this link to see some pictures taken with a DC310 camera. Don't knock the camera - very simple to use (No o-rings to grease etc.) and won't break you wallet :wink:
Pics from Crystal River Dive

I have just started using the Canon housing for the A80, it seems to work quite well. All controls are accessable, and so far it has remained water tight!

Jamie
I also have the Canon S400 digital elph and use it as my underwater camera. I'm very happy with it. The only thing that annoys me is the small LCD size makes it hard to confirm good focus underwater. Other than that, I am very happy with it. The pictures are pretty good and it is very compact to haul around. I have Canon's underwater case ($130) which lets you control all functions underwater.

Here's some samples

Flower Gardens Summer 2003
http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=321273
Cozumel..Thanksgiving 2003
http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=356678
Isla Mujeres .. Summer 2003
http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=317259

If you have any specific questions about the camera, just let me know. I'm going for a 10 day dive trip in May so I'll be putting more mileage on the camera soon.

jextract:
I own the Canon S400 digital elph. Does anyone have any experience using it with the Canon underwater housing? Thanks!

Jamie

Thanks for the advice! I have an Olympus C-750 that I like quite a bit. I found the factory housing for that specific camera for $169 delivered from Amazon.com. Happy Mom's Day to me? :10:

That Olympus is a great camera, in and out of the water. You'll love it. Have fun!

Maybe you might consider making a housing. Home-made housings can be very cost effective (less than US$50 for materials). Have a look at turtlesarehere.com for some ideas and links.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom