Digital Cameras

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jroy017

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
Any body know if there are any affordable (for a regular diver) digital cameras. IS there a company that makes a waterproof case for any ordinary digital camera??

Affordable is a very vague term. There are a few digital cameras around that are affordable but the value may not be what you expect for your money. Just do an internet search on underwater digital cameras, you'll find plenty. Ikelite makes a number of housings but you will pay for them, but they are quality products. If you're looking to get by for 300, forget it. You will get the quality you pay for.

Sounds like you may already have a digital camera as you asked about a housing for any ordinary digital camera? There are generic housings out there that just about any small camera will fit in, if that's your question. I would strongly advise you not to buy one of them as they only offer a few control functions over the camera since it's a one size fits all deal. You will likely regret that kind of purchase. Get a housing that allows you control over all the cameras functions such as the Olympus or Canon. The housing for the new Olympus 5050 camera can be bought for as low as $150. on the web. It doesn't get any cheaper than that for a housing. The camera however is another issue. But the 5050 is a great camera.:shades:

Cheap ? That is a bit vague.
If you want something for just memories ,Sea and Sea make a cheap 1.3 megapixel with housing ,rated 120 feet. Other than that Ikelite makes some of the cheapest for a big variety ,be prepared to look at 500$ ,I found a nice company in Italy called Nimar , look at www.nimar.it . Their housings are 10 bar rated ,being trimix that was a good alternative for the price. Gates ,Light and motion etc. are very expensive.

How serious are you about the subject ? Just for fun or high quality ? Big variety out there:confused:

Canon, Sony, and Olympus all have dive cases for certain cameras. Be careful to buy the right case and right camera because they are very specific. I use the Canon S30 with the Canon factory dive case. The case costs as little as $150 and as much as $249 depending on where you buy it. This case is compatible with the S30/S40/S45/S50 Canon cameras, and then Canon has other different dive cases for other camera models. Check out Ebay for prices on the case & a used or new camera. I would NOT buy the case used. You should be able to get the case and an S30 (3.3 megapixel) for as little at $300, purchased seperately.

I bought my husband a Sealife Digital Reefmaster for his birthday last year - it takes pretty nice pictures. It's just a little point and shoot camera with a housing, but we like it well enough, at least until we get a housing for our new digital SLR. :)

The strobe is another $135, and the macro set $85. I believe the camera was initially $550 or so.

Sample pictures are on our gallery (link is under my sig). Skip the first row of albums - we've had crappy photography luck lately for some reason! Check out the pages from our Vision trip, or go all the way down and check out the Cozumel pics - those were taken soon after we got the camera, so you can get an idea of what someone with absolutely no experience taking pictures underwater can do with it. :)

Do your homework and figure out what camera you can afford and read what others say about it, find one with the most bang for the buck your willing to spend. Then do a search on underwater housing for that camera. Most web search engines will lead you in the right direction. Ebay is where I got mine. I bought my camera 1 year ago it was rated best camera under $500, It's now on ebay for like $250 (the olympus c4000 4mp) I got an underwater housing for $175. The problem is they no longer make the housings for them so what's out there is what's left. Most importantly do your homework, then if the camera doesn't do all you wished it would, then you know it does what you were willing to dish out$ for it. There's many different people on here with many different pics and cams. Check them out it will give you an idea of what will do what, then look it up on ebay! Have Fun

Recently I went on a cruise and wanted a good land camera and also wanted something descent to dive with. I purchased a Canon A70 and an underwater enclosure for it. Great shots both ways. Enclosure good for 130 feet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom