digital camera sets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JillGadget

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Help! I have a sony 6mp digital camera which is my land camera. 2 years ago I purchased the underwater case (another $200+). I am a newbie diver! I am looking to get a strobe for this camera that takes decent pics (my avatar pic was taken w/that camera... and NO the coral was already DEAD and lying there) The camera does not have a bunch of features that a dedicated underwater camera would have. The cost of a stobe and an arm looks to be about another $400. I have looked at "full sets" (sea and sea I think) that include camera (5 or 6 mp), strobe, arm and wide angle lens and a sale puts it around $600. This may sound stupid, but should I just bite the bullet and get the set and start taking better photos? Since I don't know anything it is hard to make a right decision and I don't want to look back and kick myself...:no
ps Im also looking to get the DVD that people are talking about from uwphotoshop.com - the demo takes you through things in baby steps...THATS FOR ME!

Thanks,
Jill

If you want to take good pics, and not just ok pics, skip the one stop shopping sets and get a Fuji E-900, and the Ikelite housing and D-50 strobe...its a great setup for the novice when set to auto and takes splendid pics when used be the semi-pro to pro using manual settings.

Have you cruised through the Pink Link in my signature - also a sticky at the top of the UW Photo forum? Inside you will find a ton of information on options along with links to discussions and images from various models.

Personally, I'd head to the Canon A series range and build up from there, if you are going new system.

But if you have and like your Sony, why not simply add a strobe? Inon, Ikelite, Sea & Sea all have options and if you shop smart, you'll be able to move your strobe with you if you ever change systems.

Have a look at something like the Inon Z-240 or the S&S YS-110. They are a pricey option, but both are very flexible with how you can use them. I have a Z-240, which can be set to fully manual with 12 power settings, TTL controlled, or fully auto. It can also be triggered optically or by wire. Basically it will suit almost any camera setup, so it is not something that you will need to replace in the future.

I've used it optically triggered on auto with my Sony DSC-P10, and cable triggered on manual with my Pentax *istDS DSLR with excellent results.

Alcina's pink link is an excellent starting point. If you like your camera you can always get a slave strobe for that as froop mentioned. I also have z-240 and although I haven't been diving with it for many times it's a great strobe in a tiny package. When buying a strobe pay attention to it being good enough for you to take with you when/if you upgrade your camera. Z-240 is one of those. There are ofcourse a huge variety of other strobes that will fit your needs aswell. Check out digital divers strobe comparing page to get more info on different types of strobes (http://www.digitaldiver.net/strobes.php)

Check out ReefPhoto.com and BHphoto.com. Both places have good prices. If you have questions, don't hesitate to give ReefPhoto a call. They are very helpful!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom