Digital camera needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks Jon :) Amazon must have knocked off a Photomart cause they sure are cheap compared to other online retailers. I will read your reviews you posted. Damn sure would be a easier without all the choices. I seem to long a wee bit for my service life when a CPO would just say " Use this you worm!!" Thanks all Any info on a site that might lead to a housing for my old camera the HP315?

HP doesn't seem to make an underwater case for the 315 (well, they don't have any information on the 315 anymore, but they don't make an underwater case for the 320).

You worm.

Jon

Is the Canon G2's, which should drop in price very soon, since the G3's have just come out. They're (the G2s) one grade up from the S40's. Price-wise they should be comperable with the Olympus 4040s; (I expect the G3's will be comperable with the 5050's).

I havn't had a chance to use either camera, but when I was researching cameras and considering buying one, I liked the spec-sheet for the G2 a bit more than I liked the spec-sheet for the olympus cameras.

On the other hand, the housings for the olympus are much cheaper... several hundred dollars cheaper.

The main advantages of the G2 over the S40/45 are:
a slightly brighter lens
better manual controls
a hot-shoe (gives you more options for using a flash)

The main drawbacks:
more expensive (by $200-$300)
significantly larger (still nowhere near the size of a film SLR, but the G2's are much bigger than the A-series or the S-series)
Canon makes a housing for the S-series, but not the G-series (non-cannon housings are available, but the Canon-made one is fairly inexpensive)

Jamie -- Staunchly resisting the tide of Oly-users :)

Back
Top Bottom