digital camera for christmas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

budcris

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
my wife is going to get me a digital camera and housing for christmas does anyone have any suggestions as to what kind to get for under $500

For just another $100, you can get the 5MP Canon S50 with housing. It's what I'm looking at. Newegg.com has the camera for $440 and the housing for $159 with free shipping.
Cjh

I just bought a C-5050 from them. No shipping was the tie breaker. It got here in 3 days.

Another vote for the C5050, just a bit over $500 limit of yours though not by much. Has been playing with it for a couple of days, hope my housing will get here soon!

Yeah...I paid $579 total for my C-5050 and only $159 for my PT-015.

$500 isn't going to get you much more than a snap shot point and shoot camera.

imaging-resources is a pretty good site that reviews all the digital cameras. Fantasea also has housings for a few Nikons that include 1 year of flood insurance. My fiance recently got the Fantasea CP- 4 housing for her Nikon 885. She hasn't tried it underwater yet, though and for what it's worth she doesn't like her Nikon.
GL on your decision and let us know what you buy.
Cjh

Dee, I'm impressed. I just looked at your Roatan album; you did a very nice job. Did you use the on-camera flash or did you use an external flash?
Thx
Cjh

Clutchcargo once bubbled...
Dee, I'm impressed. I just looked at your Roatan album; you did a very nice job. Did you use the on-camera flash or did you use an external flash?
Thx
Cjh
Thanks.

It depends on which Roatan album you're looking at but basically I use both. There are just some close-up situations where I like the internal flash better.

to be honest I think you would be dissapointed after a short while if you bought a camera and housing in the sub $500 range, if you buy cheap, you pay twice.

i started with the oly c920 (1.3meg) and housing, after a year then bought the oly 3040 (3.2 meg) and housing, then bought the 5050 after 6 months

stump up the extra cash and go for the 5050 and housing

500 is as high as we can afford so i need the best that i can get for 500 i saw a samsung v4 with housing on ebay does anyone know anything about them

Back
Top Bottom