Digital Camera and Housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ppo2_diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
So I've been thinking about getting a digital camera for taking some UW pictures. Nothing fancy. I'm not very good at photography. I'm looking for a cheap camera and housing options. I know, "Cheap, yeah right." But I want something very simple that takes better pictures than the stills I pull off video. I'm looking for something that I can set the white balance to reduce the green color water we dive in. Any opinions? I'm looking at cameras from Best Buy and Ike housings so far. Thanks.

How deep are you wanting to take it?

Canon makes housings for most of their cameras that are good for recreational depths. If you go for a camera that is about (or just is) discontinued, you could get away with getting a very inexpensive setup.

I started out with a Canon P&S with a Canon housing and loved it. As Jeff said, if you look for one that is just about to or is discontinued, you should get a good deal. It also helps if you are open to used and slighly lower megapixels. I just got rid of my Canon PowerShor S50 (5.0mp) with Canon housing (it had over 200+ dives on it and never had a problem of any sort) and would have sold it for about $100 for everything (I wound up giving it away to a friend). Check ebay and watch here but if you are open, there are good deals out there.

I really like my Cannon A570 (discontinued now) with a Cannon housing - the price was incredibly low (about $335 total for camera and housing) and it takes pretty good pictures and OK video. Unfortunatly, the photograper (me) is an idiot and only 1-2 pictures per dive are keepers at best, but that is reflective my my poor photo skills, not the camera.

I'm looking to keep it within recreational limits. I'll start watching eBay. I was looking at some of the Nikon Coolpix. I didn' t know Canon made housings. Is the white balance able to be set while in the housings? I'd like to get a camera that is 8 megapixels or higher.

I was told to get rid of my older Canon because I have too many other cameras. I shoot a Coolpix P5000 with an Ike housing and strobe....."very" expensive. I only say very expensive because it is a lot of money :D. I think if all you want is a camera, then look for a used camera and housing....an Ike housing might put the cost over any limit you have. They are not the least expensive but are great if you think you will expand (i.e. add strobes etc.) on it in the future. If you just want the off picture and something that is low cost and easy to carry....go with a Canon and the WPDC (I think that is what they are called) housing. Low cost, light weight, flexible and you retain every feature as I recall (confirm this before buying) including WB set.

Yes, the P9000 would be well out of my price range. Simple and cheap is what I'm looking for. Ikelite sells a Nikon L18 with housing for $380. Slightly higher than I wanted to pay, but could be doable in a few months. Is the L18 a decent camera with white balance? I'm just now Googling it.

I just ordered a Fuji F50fd it can be had from Ecost.com as a recert for $109 or new from Amazon for $149 Amazon has the Fuji housing for $135.
From the reviews I've read it has a lot of potential for beginners to advanced P&S users both on the surface and below. I had a F700 until a flood last year and it took great shots.

Back
Top Bottom