Diffuser vs Deflector with a strobe?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scotttyd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My ikelite case comes with a diffuser and a deflector, and I know the difference between the two. My question is that when using a strobe, both work, is there an advantage to using the deflector over the diffuser. I would think (possibly incorrectly) that if I use the diffuser, the camera's internal strobe would act as a sort of fill flash. Is this thinking correct, or am I just going to get more backscatter?

diffuser can help with close up images/macro...deflector for use with external strobe to reduce backscatter if there is no hot shoe on camera and you are not using a wired sync cord.If useing a sync cord you can shut the internal camera strobe off and just use the hot shoe to trigger ext strobe.This will reduce power used to charge internal strobe and keep the batteries working longer between replaement/charge.

It is a slave strobe (AF35), therefore I need to charge the internal flash, although I would assume I should turn it down to the lowest possible setting to increase battery life, reduce recharge time, etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom