Diffuser for DRIS 1000

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kelemvor

Big Fleshy Monster
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Has anyone successfully created or affixed a manufactured diffuser or other device to a DRIS 1000 dive light to use it for video? I've got a couple of these lights. They're REALLY bright, priced well, and use regular batteries. I dove a night dive last weekend with my GoPro and two of them, and discovered that the beam is just WAY too narrow.

I had thought of using a piece of a cover for a fluorescent overhead, or a cut up plastic milk jug maybe. I have a soft plastic "bag" diffuser" and a lumiquest mini softbox for my real camera I thought might be worth sacrificing for this purpose.

Has anyone already solved this problem?

You can try some privacy film for windows the sand type texture. Its decreases the output but it helps spread the hotspot

Wow, thanks 3d diver! Unfortunate that the warranty has to be voided to get the diffuser internally installed. I've already had one DRIS light flood. They're going to replace it, but I don't think I'd want to risk taking the reflector out. I'll have to re-read the lengthy thread because I can't remember if you tried the holographic diffuser externally.

I think I might try some kind of reflector type setup like an umbrella for studio lighting or similar. Perhaps I could machine a piece of clear acrylic and coat it with some reflective paint on the curved side or something like that...

Doesn't the dynacell foam compress at depth and lose buoyancy like anything else?

The holographic diffuser has to go inside---it's delicate and needs an air interface.

I thought about reflectors too---B&H has some interesting combination relectors---but they would be a bit bulky. The nice thing about using a reflector is minimal transmission loss.

A frosted external filter like a fluorescent light diffuser or Akroedge540's idea will work but you lose peak intensity.

The dynacell doesn't compress much. My rig is slightly buoyant on the surface and more-or-less neutral at depth. It weighs about 10lbs in the air.

Call up Rosco or Lee and get a gel swatchbook. There will be several types of diffusion samples, just band it around the head of the light.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom