Different Wetsuit Configurations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OceanLover91

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm not sure if my title is accurate but I'm not really sure what to title it. I've been thinking of which gear I would like to buy first, and wetsuit seems to fit the bill. I don't like wearing rented wetsuits and I don't like the fit of the rented wetsuits. With that being said, my main complaint is my elbows feel cut off in them and they get kind of tingly which is not good IMO.

I was thinking of what I would like to buy and at first (before I tried the rented wetsuit) I thought I wanted a full (long) wetsuit. But then I decided maybe a farmer john would be better.

This is what I am thinking now:
~1 Farmer John (to wear as is or with a jacket)
~1 Jacket (to wear with Farmer John)
~1 Shorty (By itself)

Does that make sense?

I do not really plan to dive in cold water and if the need arises I will adjust then.

I guess what I am asking is how do you do it? Do you get the same feeling? Could it just be that wetsuit, or could it be all long sleeves?

TIA! :D

Wetsuits are all very different with fit- you need to try them on. New they will and should always be snug- they will compress and loosen over time. I have a 3 mil for tropical diving- full sleeves (and boy was I glad I did when our group hit a patch of jellyfish- only my hand was stung, while others in the group were badly stung) and 8-6-5 mil suit for cooler water, which is easier to get on but still keeps your core toasty warm. I also have a drysuit and a few different weight undergarments for all weather- the option to dive wet or dry is nice for me.

Seek out a 3/2 mil combo suit and give it a try before you nix all full sleeved suits.

Also the more layers of suits the warmer you may be, but the more snug you will feel.

i agree with dragon eye-all wetsuits are different
fit is everything!
i personally use a 3/2 full suit in waters above 70*
jellyfish,scrapes,yucky things......i like being covered!
i have never been "too warm" in the water
i have been "tooooo cold"
shop!!get the right fit that doesn't cut off your circulation!!!!!:D
have fun
Yaeg

....I guess what I am asking is how do you do it? Do you get the same feeling? Could it just be that wetsuit, or could it be all long sleeves?

As already mentioned, fit is everything. For tropical diving, I'd recommend a 3mm full wetsuit. This thickness is good for most folks down to the low 70's (depending on how easily they get chilled), but is not so thick that you'll "cook" in it in warmer water (and you can always let a little water into the suit if you feel too warm during the dive).

Wetsuits should be "comfortably snug" so that they keep you warm, but not so tight that they make your limbs "tingle" (circulation being impaired), restrict breathing, or severely restrict movement. They should certainly feel more snug-fitting than normal clothing does, and there will be some slight restriction in shoulder and hip movement, but they should basically be comfortable enough to wear for a couple hours.

My opinion is that the Farmer John type suits are more appropriate for cooler water temperatures (you effectively get a double layer over the torso).

Best wishes.

I have the same problem because I have big forearms. So an XL fit my arms and a L fit my body. The farmer John worked because you can buy different size pieces. I dive in cold water and was not happy with the seal of my F.J. Something you might want to try is the Bare Elastek. It is a stretchy neoprene and it feels very comfortable,no problem with my arms in a one piece. Then I got a 7 mil hooded step in vest to wear over top when its cold.

I too like a full suit for both cold water 7mm and tropical 3mm you can always wear a "core warmer" a kind of sleeveless shortie over it for more warmth. Even in tropical 86 degree water the full suit is good against scrapes on wrecks and reefs, stings etc or general cooling and if you are too hot, just a finger under the collar or cuff will let in water to cool. Snug is good, nothing worse than the unexpected rush of cold water. So sizing is very important. different manufacturers have different chest, waist, hip, height ratios so check it out. A superstretch is also a great plus "adjust" the fit and make it easier to get on and off.

I do a lot of diving in a quarry, and I find that in summertime a 5-mil is good for shallower dives, and a 7-mil is good for deeper dives and dives toward the beginning or end of the season. I also use my 5 for all the tropical diving I do because as the week progresses, I tend to get cold more easily. I think it's better to be a little warm than a little cold, because you can always flush the suit to cool off.

I guess what I am asking is how do you do it? Do you get the same feeling? Could it just be that wetsuit, or could it be all long sleeves?

If it all fits right nothing should feel "cut off". Infact the suit should hardly be noticeable, especially while diving. Checking fit.

You are smart to get a first suit for typical conditions and to build a wardrobe from there. There is no Swiss army knife of wetsuits. There are cases where you can overdress but managing extra neoprene can take some of the fun out of warm water. The right suit for the dive is always best.

I am partial to beginning with a full suit and then adding a vest to provide a hood and extra warmth. A 3mm hooded vest can layer with a number of different full suits. I have used mine with 7, 5 and 3mm suits and it complemented all of them well. If you want to layer heavier there are 5 and 7mm step-in vests that will built you to the same coverage as the John & jacket set.

Pete

If your elbows feel cut off and tingly it's the fault of the suit fit and not a reason to reject a long sleeved fullsuit. I really think a full suit of whatever appropriate thickness (many have a combination) is the best starting place. Then add a vest or core warmer if you need more.

I'm not a farmer john fan, even in cold water where I used to use one. I think it gives you 2 pieces that aren't all that useful on their own. I'm not going to dive anyplace where I'd want the bottom part without wanting something on my arms, or vice versa. It's an old style from when neoprene was much less flexible and I think the farmer john style would have been easier to deal with.

I'm also not a shorty fan. Completely covering your arms and legs for protection from critters and whatever makes the most sense to me. Shorties are rented a lot, I figure because they're less expensive and easier to fit more people. I see very few people in warm water wearing shorties that haven't rented them, most people seem wind up in full suits when they have their own. You can use a shortie as a layer, but I'd rather a sleeveless vest or core warmer and have more arm freedom.

If your elbows feel cut off and tingly it's the fault of the suit fit and not a reason to reject a long sleeved fullsuit. I really think a full suit of whatever appropriate thickness (many have a combination) is the best starting place. Then add a vest or core warmer if you need more.

I'm not a farmer john fan, even in cold water where I used to use one. I think it gives you 2 pieces that aren't all that useful on their own. I'm not going to dive anyplace where I'd want the bottom part without wanting something on my arms, or vice versa. It's an old style from when neoprene was much less flexible and I think the farmer john style would have been easier to deal with.

I'm also not a shorty fan. Completely covering your arms and legs for protection from critters and whatever makes the most sense to me. Shorties are rented a lot, I figure because they're less expensive and easier to fit more people. I see very few people in warm water wearing shorties that haven't rented them, most people seem wind up in full suits when they have their own. You can use a shortie as a layer, but I'd rather a sleeveless vest or core warmer and have more arm freedom.

I completely agree here. a one-piece full suit is much more water-tight than a farmer john 2-piece suit. Much of the claimed advantage of layering suits over each other is lost because of too many 'hull penetrations' where water seeps/flows through...plus a one-piece represents one less item to carry around/misplace/lose. Additionally, a full suit is protection against sunburn on the boat, and cuts/scrapes/jellies/corals that a shorty just doesn't offer. Don't forget, a fullsuit can be tucked inside your booties, providing a good seal against water 'flushing'...you can't do that with a 'shortie'.

Back
Top Bottom