Differences in Temp Readings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

clpkab

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I realize that different computers will yield different responses - but I noticed on a dive last weekend that my Suunto Vyper (wrist-mount) was reporting a bottom temperature several degrees different from others in my dive group. Yes, at times we were separated a bit, which could account for differences. However there were times when I was eye to eye and in physical contact with one of the divers and his computer read between 3 and 5 degrees (IIRC) colder than mine.

In reviewing the owner's guide, I noticed that it recommended wearing it loose enough to slip a finger under the strap. I've tended to wear it pretty tight to keep it from slipping when suit compresses. Would wearing it tighter have any effect on the readings??

Advice? Suggestions?

I realize that different computers will yield different responses - but I noticed on a dive last weekend that my Suunto Vyper (wrist-mount) was reporting a bottom temperature several degrees different from others in my dive group. Yes, at times we were separated a bit, which could account for differences. However there were times when I was eye to eye and in physical contact with one of the divers and his computer read between 3 and 5 degrees (IIRC) colder than mine.

In reviewing the owner's guide, I noticed that it recommended wearing it loose enough to slip a finger under the strap. I've tended to wear it pretty tight to keep it from slipping when suit compresses. Would wearing it tighter have any effect on the readings??

Advice? Suggestions?

Can't answer your direct question, but I do know my Veo 2.0 consistantly reads 2C less than my son's Zoop.

The two computers in this case were both Suuntos - his is one of the D models (not sure which one...)

FWIW, when I saw that just after my son got his Zoop, a look at the manual revealed that +/- 2C is considered within spec for the Suuntos.

Back
Top Bottom