Differences between 07 and 08 mr22 Abyss?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Clanggedin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I was getting ready to buy an mr22 Abyss and noticed that on some sites they are selling an 08' reg. Other than a new body style and a plastic cover on the hose to keep it warmer, are there any other differences??

One site said it was more compact, but how much more compact is it? The 08' abyss is 263g. How much does the 07' weigh??

I am looking to get both the Mr22 abyss reg and octo.

Thanks.

The changes to the new Abyss are primarily cosmetic. The new hose cover allows water to pass over the LP seat area. Resulting in a technically better cold water reg. This is a small difference. As for the compactness, It has a slightly lower profile.

Just threw out the 07 catalog so I don't have the specs on weight difference, although it will be very nominal.

Hope this helps a little.

Zak

The latest version also has an access port in the side opposite the hose. If you look at a Proton or Rebel, you can see the same feature. This allows the second stage to be adjusted easier by the technician. The face plate is still retained by the metal ring from the earlier versions.

This is a great feature for someone like me who owns several Mares regs. I also serviced them for many years, and found that fine adjustments were always easier when an access port was available.

In short, a great reg just got better!

Greg Barlow
Former Science Editor for Rodale's Scuba Diving Magazine

FYI... The 07 second stage weighs 273g and the new 08' weighs 263g. It's a little bit lighter.

You would not even notice that amount of weight. There is probably a 5g variation in metal second stages of the same design.

Greg Barlow

Back
Top Bottom