Difference in fat tissue's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jbd

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Is there a difference in the ingassing and outgassing of subcutaneous fat and omental fat? I'm wondering about this in regards to perfusion.

Hi jbd:

Fat Off gassing

I would doubt that there is a big difference between the rates of uptake and elimination between the type locations of fat (skin and abdomen). That is to say, I suspect that perfusion is roughly equivalent.

Fat will not really play a role in Type I DCS (bends) unless there is intertissue diffusion. The jury is still out on this aspect of gas exchange in DCS.

Nuclei

If there is considerable movement of the body, subcutaneous fat might well generate many Doppler-detectable gas bubbles because it will become nucleated. We believe that we are seeing this effect in some our studies here at NASA.

I would not expect large numbers of nuclei to form in omental fat.

Dr Deco :doctor:

Readers, please note the next class in Decompression Physiology :1book:
http://wrigley.usc.edu/hyperbaric/advdeco.htm

How about the difference between blubber and lard? I would suspect that once the blubber has turned to lard it wouldn't soak up much of anything.

Dr Deco:
Hi jbd:

Fat Off gassing

I would doubt that there is a big difference between the rates of uptake and elimination between the type locations of fat (skin and abdomen). That is to say, I suspect that perfusion is roughly equivalent.

Fat will not really play a role in Type I DCS (bends) unless there is intertissue diffusion. The jury is still out on this aspect of gas exchange in DCS.

Nuclei

If there is considerable movement of the body, subcutaneous fat might well generate many Doppler-detectable gas bubbles because it will become nucleated. We believe that we are seeing this effect in some our studies here at NASA.

I would not expect large numbers of nuclei to form in omental fat.

Dr Deco :doctor:

Readers, please note the next class in Decompression Physiology :1book:
http://wrigley.usc.edu/hyperbaric/advdeco.htm
Trying to recall from many years ago, but it seemed to me that there was very little bleeding when cutting through subQ fat and that omental fat was nearly always closely related to arteries and veins. My guess would have been that there would be a difference in perfusion rates(which is what prompted my question)
Why would you not expect to find large numbers of nuclei in omental fat if perfusion is essentially equivalent? Is there a difference in compostion that would account for less nucleation in omental fat as opposed to sub Q fat?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom