Difference between Sealife External flash and Digital flash

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sealife does make a diffuser. But will a diffuser lessen the flash brightness?

Yes, SeaLife does make a diffuser the SL968. I have not used it so I don’t know how much it will lessen the flash. I think it is more for controlling the backscatter then reducing the flash strength.

Yea, I know its for controlling backscatter but hopefully it will reduce the flash.

An opaque flash blocker placed in front of the onboard flash of a point and shoot digital camera may "control backscatter". But as far as I know translucent diffusers for strobes are not meant or designed to "control backscatter".

Diffusers soften light emitted by the strobe. Diffusers also spread the beam over a greater area. Depending on composition (thickness, translucency) they may reduce strobe light intensity between 1/2 and 3 full stops. 1 stop is common. A diffuser may also lower the temperature of the light.

Here is what the website says:

Used to prevent over-exposed, washed out pictures!
Better contrast and richer colors
Use Flash Diffuser in combination with 3x Close-up, 8x or 16x Macro Lens
Attaches easily above or below water
Includes lanyard to secure to flash when not in use.

So I guess it will lessen the flash. I guess I am going to have to pick one of those up too.

Do any of you know if the External Flash (SL960) includes the flash link cable or I have to buy it separately?

It's my understanding that SeaLife has discontinued the 960D in favor of the 961D - which I recently picked up and have used with generally good results for my first UW system (paired with Canon A720IS camera in Canon housing). Unfortunately, there is not a diffuser available for the 961D and I was told by SeaLife that they did not have any immediate plans to release one. If anyone has heard differently I would be interested.

Why don't you ask in the new Sealife forum? HAHA!
The SL960 is STILL in production.

so will my cannon a570is camera work in my ikelite housing with the digital flash

You should make a new thread. This is kind of hijacking mine. Also go more in depth with what you mean "work"...

Back
Top Bottom