Difference between Aqualung regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Floridian561

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Good Morning ALL,

I'm just getting back into diving after some time off. I just purchased my first Aqaulung BC and regulator after renting for the past year. I'm looking to buy an octopus and are looking at 3 different Aqualung types.

Aqua Lung Kronos Octopus ($79.99)
Aqua Lung ABS Octopus ($84.95)
Aqua Lung Calypso/Titan Octopus ($99.95)

Any major differences or benefits between the 3?

I mostly dive in the warm water of south florida, I occasionally dive deep - sometimes up to 120 feet, sometimes with Nitrox, sometimes as frequently as two times a week.

Any help/advice provided would be greatly appreciated.

Kronos has side exhaust, I'm pretty sure it has been discontinued. I used to have the ABS/Egress and didn't like it, it was noticeably harder to breath from than a standard type Octo. If you buy the Calypso/Titan I' buy the one with standard hose fitting and not the quick disconnect. Of the three you listed I'd probably buy the Titan/calypso. Have you looked at the Titan LX octo? It's a balanced second which the Calypso/Titan and ABS are not so will breath better at depth. What primary regulator are you using?

Thanks for the info.

My primary is an Aqualung Titan.

The Titan LX is running $149.95. Is it worth the extra $50 for my octo?

I would have to say none of the ones you have selected. But possibly the Calypso/Titan if you can find one WITHOUT the proprietary quick detach hose connector.

I agree with what was said above about the Titan LX.

Of the three the Kronos is the only one the is a balanced second stage. The ABS Octo and the Calypso/Titan are unbalanced seconds. The general consensus is the the ABS Octo breaths very badly.

Of the three listed the Kronos is the best buy. It will breath as we'll or better than the Titan LX and your Titan.

AquaLung does a very good job of keeping parts available for their older regs.

....plus the Kronos also has the dual purpose single adjustment lever for both venturi and cracking pressure, similar to the Legend 2nd stages.

I have the ABS, granted it is a little harder to breath at depth it is just fine as a backup. If your primary fails dive over, the octo is just to get you back to the boat/shore IMO. Just make sure whatever you decide on does not have new quick detach connectors.

I have the ABS, granted it is a little harder to breath at depth it is just fine as a backup. If your primary fails dive over, the octo is just to get you back to the boat/shore IMO.

Why would you want to pass a crappy regulator to stressed diver? Would you want to swim to shore using that regulator?

---------- Post added April 7th, 2014 at 02:01 AM ----------

Any help/advice provided would be greatly appreciated.

Given the information from Claymore and Fishpie, your best bet would be to purchase the Kronos and make it your primary and use the Titan as the secondary.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom