Did the “A” for a beach vaca, now doing the “B” for some serious diving :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lots of good stuff, thanks!
Divemaven, I couldn't agree more. Luckily there are lots of on water options for pretty much the same price. It's just a matter of matter of deciding which one suits us best. We will check them all out

Stayed in a huge lovely studio here with a great location and decent view and VERY close to the water that had marvelous owners through VRBO. It was a pretty good deal, winded up a couple hundred cheaper than Buddy Dive's package when we factored in a truck rental from Telerin and our dive package, but does not include breakfast. The only downside I see is having to decide if you want to use BDA or Dive Friends - I haven't been there since that recent development. Only slightly closer to town that Buddy's but right next to a little row of shops, ice cream, deli, internet cafe, and minimart, too. I have a review floating around here somewhere. PM if you want more info.
You seem to have answered your own question about where to stay. You got a good deal at Sand Dollar through VRBO. A choice of on-site dive ops is a downside? Dive Friends is cheaper than BDA, but BDA has better gear storage and a nice dock (although DF is supposedly building a dock at Sand Dollar in the near future). I am well aware of the shops and icecream. They are only 40-50 yds from our condo. PM if you want more info.

You seem to have answered your own question about where to stay. You got a good deal at Sand Dollar through VRBO. A choice of on-site dive ops is a downside? Dive Friends is cheaper than BDA, but BDA has better gear storage and a nice dock (although DF is supposedly building a dock at Sand Dollar in the near future). I am well aware of the shops and icecream. They are only 40-50 yds from our condo. PM if you want more info.

I am not sure if this is to me or Deb, but yes I guess that statement could confuse. We did get a good deal on VRBO and the condo we found was great - I was merely providing this as a suggestion since the OP wanted something with a very convenient dive setup, basically on the water with a view, and of good value. I do not own this condo or get anything for recommending it - she just reminded me of what we were looking for when we went.

I guess the choice is not a downside, however I cannot comment on which is better for Deb's situation since I have not seen the DF setup compared to the BDA setup even though I know DF is cheaper, I personally love SD for the BDA gear storage and dock, not necessarily their cheery personality or fantastic boat service. I also have no time reference to when/where DF will build a dock or what the tood is like around SD/DL these days. To clarify, these unknowns to me are where the downside lies, lol! I am not saying that these items should keep someone from staying at SD/DL - just considerations/uknowns to factor in. Can you tell I am overly analytical and indecisive? :wink:

Happy Travels to Deb!

I guess the choice is not a downside, however I cannot comment on which is better for Deb's situation since I have not seen the DF setup compared to the BDA setup even though I know DF is cheaper, I personally love SD for the BDA gear storage and dock, not necessarily their cheery personality or fantastic boat service. I also have no time reference to when/where DF will build a dock or what the tood is like around SD/DL these days. To clarify, these unknowns to me are where the downside lies, lol! I am not saying that these items should keep someone from staying at SD/DL - just considerations/uknowns to factor in. Can you tell I am overly analytical and indecisive? :wink:

Happy Travels to Deb!
No, you are not "overly" analytical. Just analytical/realistic. I can shed some light on the BDA/DF issue. Many folks, both SD owners and guests, are very happy DF is on site. I have heard zero complaints, in fact. BDA continues to be what it has been, but with many fewer clients. I agree that the BDA dock is its most attractive asset, although the gear storage area is pretty good, too. I wish I could add something about the DF dock status, but I have not heard any recent news. Hopefully by summer?? Guests at SD or DL should definitely use BDA if they would rather walk down stairs or step off a dock to start the dive, rather than walk into the water.

We decided to go with Sand Dollar and booked a 1 bedroom through VRBO... Ground floor, ocean front, screened porch.... All sounds good to me... Can hardly wait :)
Will likely go with DF, as service is important to us. It's a competitive world with no place for cranky dive shop owners caught up in fueds and drama.

Den Laman's "Dive, Stay, and Drive" package still includes diving with BDA. Considering their shop is IN the Den Laman building structure, it would be logical for that to happen. Since we go with the package, we'll be using BDA's services, which we don't mind since in the 3 trips we've used them, we haven't had any problems.

You're going to love being able to walk out of your condo at Sand Dollar and fall into the ocean whenever you want, night or day. Congrats on your booking....now the countdown begins! :)

Thanks DiveMaven, I’m sure we are going to love it! Location is much of the reason for this choice. We really enjoyed Maui shore diving, but after staying in Napilli and driving south of Kihei everyday in traffic, I’ve learned to put higher priority on location. Looking forward to a little less driving.
Glad BDA works for you (and others). I shouldn’t knock them, not having used them. It’s just that if I have choices I prefer to avoid any risk of being unhappy with my choice, you know? :)

Yeah you also have the luxury of giving both a good look before signing up, too!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom