Did i mention how much I despise the airlines?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Regardless of whether the government's decision is right or wrong, I'm betting on Coz people going back to work on June 1, with staggered openings. I wouldn't be surprised if the marine park opens first week of June as well.

Are you really betting? Because the OP sure is. It's possible everything will go well and it will all fall into place but there are so many things to go wrong. I would never book a hotel six weeks in advance that is supposed to open the day before I get there. This in a country notorious for delays. Just why? What is gained? It's not like everything is going to be booked solid. I would not even want to book diving that far ahead when their boats won't be running for months.

Are you really betting? Because the OP sure is. It's possible everything will go well and it will all fall into place but there are so many things to go wrong. I would never book a hotel six weeks in advance that is supposed to open the day before I get there. This in a country notorious for delays. Just why? What is gained? It's not like everything is going to be booked solid. I would not even want to book diving that far ahead when their boats won't be running for months.
You mean like placing a bet with a bookie? No, I'm not.

I don't have any skin in the Cozumel reservations game, I just believe June 1st is the date.

It does not appear your frustration is with the airline but with Expedia.

It does not appear your frustration is with the airline but with Expedia.
I agree. Booking with a service like that, what do you expect? You have to take the bad with the good; you can save a pile of money, maybe, but you can also lose out if/when things go wrong. You have no leverage with the airline or the hotel; once they sell the slot they are out of the game and you are dealing with Cut Rate Charlie.

@Rockit31. As a retired airline pilot and frequent international traveler, your thread title certainly caught my attention. You are obviously a very optimistic travel planner, and I sincerely hope your adventure works out for you. Knowing how travel plans can get thoroughly screwed up in stable circumstances, I think your travel game plan required a near perfect alignment of too many factors that are beyond your control, especially at this stage of Covid-19 impacts on travel and leisure sports. I would have waited a bit longer to see if Coz actually opens up as planned, and then see if I can put all of the travel puzzle pieces together. Hopefully you had the foresight to purchase a very good travel insurance package in the event things go more sideways for you. Good luck.

agree with most above, but that it the inexperience when you start scuba travel etc. but it's all a learning game. Airlines generally are very annoying when it comes to forced reschedule flexibility. i concur that i have never purchased a package and i never would. You can come up trumps taking the risk, but you have to have the cash in reserve so that if it all goes south you can wait for the flights to be cancelled to claim the refund, but still have cash in reserve to book another trip whilst waiting for the refund to hit your account.

if the deal is good, i hav no issue taking the risk at the moment, especially if i can get a resort deal at a very low price with straight rebooking ( no upfees) for 12 - 24 months if the lockdown is still in place.

No prob. $20 to the Cozumel food bank says Coz people will be going back to work on June 1st.

Sitting here, cases still going up at a pretty good clip in the state, the lax approach to staying indoors - I hate to say it - I wouldn’t place that bet.

I don’t think we have the medical resources to open up like the US is doing. My theory of results being delayed due to testing times and that we were on top of it - I think that’s **** right now - there’s been large increases in Cancun the last few days and the cases in study have shot back up.

I don’t see locals diving June 1st but I’d gladly pay you the 20 bucks if we could

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom