Did I make the wrong choice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Skittl1321

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
The op I dove with last time was not available for this year's trip, so I chose to dive with Tres Pelicanos. When I booked with them, I told them I was a beginner and that I do not dive below 75 feet; they said no problem.

Now, I'm seeing TP being recommended as "awesome for advanced divers".

Now, I am definitely a beginner with about 30 dives, 11 in Cozumel- but I don't need my hand held; I can descend no problem, manage my buoyancy so I'm not crashing into the reef, handle medium/light drifts, hold my safety stop, watch/listen for boats as I surface next to a SMB (working on learning to shoot one myself- right now mine is not on a line). I don't need my hand held, but I'm nervous enough that I like to at least be able to see where the DM is. However, due to medical reasons, the 75 feet thing is pretty mandatory. I don't think I'll die instantly at 76 feet, but getting to 85+ feet could be a lot more risk than I want to take. If the DM is going through swim throughs at 100 feet and I can't see him; or the currents are very different on the different levels, I've got a problem. I also don't want to fight people on the boat that I can't go to Devil's Throat, for instance (and regardless of depth, I've got no business there.)

I've now found that the op I went with last time, who worked great for my skill level, has availability again. I think I can get my deposit back, and diving with her will only be a little more expensive (budget is a big factor this trip).

Should I switch? Or should I go with my original choice and dive with Tres Pelicanos? I mean, I know ops in Cozumel aren't in the business of regularly killing their divers, so I'm probably fine: but if they are really a "awesome for advanced divers" then I think it wasn't the right choice.

Nobody is going to force you to dive deeper than you want. If a part of the dive has a swim-through at 95ft, swim over the top of it. You don't have to stay on the sand. Dive the depth you're confortable. You have a much better chance of seeing turtles and sharks if you have some altitude anyway.

As for changing dive ops, that's entirely up to you. If you were happy last time and they have openings, I see no reason NOT to switch back.

If a part of the dive has a swim-through at 95ft, swim over the top of it.

Last time I basically played follow the leader- if I'm swimming over the top of a swim through, how great is the chance I'll get lost and not find where they exit? Some of the coral formations seemed pretty massive, and it seems like following bubbles wouldn't be that easy.

---------- Post added August 11th, 2014 at 07:53 AM ----------

The fates collide. I got my spot!! Come back to us Skittles!!

I'm seriously considering trying to find out if my deposit is refundable... what days are you diving?

Prob 4-10ish?

Kevin's being all rational and thinks 1) it would be rude to cancel and 2) it's good to try different options; so I don't think we are going to switch back. I think TP also valets wetsuits, and that is the singular most important thing about an op, so we are good there.

I'm really annoyed at the guy who chartered her boat and then canceled though! I really hate the unknown.

We will be diving the 4th - 8th. If you guys go out on any afternoon/twilight/night dives and have space on the boat- let us know! We'll be up for that!

The op I dove with last time was not available for this year's trip, so I chose to dive with Tres Pelicanos. When I booked with them, I told them I was a beginner and that I do not dive below 75 feet; they said no problem...

Just a quick reminder to the dive op about your situation will keep it in their memory. It may not be first and foremost on their mind. Also, during pre-dive briefing, if there is a mention of diving below 75', just ask the DM what your options are for the dive. You will need to find a buddy who will stay with you at 75'... unless you are comfy as solo.

Last time I basically played follow the leader- if I'm swimming over the top of a swim through, how great is the chance I'll get lost and not find where they exit? Some of the coral formations seemed pretty massive, and it seems like following bubbles wouldn't be that easy.

I don't think you would have to worry about getting lost. Remember, coz is drift diving so the boat is drifting above you too. Plus, have you ever paid attention to just how much air a group of divers blows through? With the typical vis in coz, I don't see how you could possibly lose sight of that much gas going up. Just keep in mind that being higher will put you in faster current, so if think you lost the group, swim into the current (more like just slowing yourself down) and let the group catch up to you.

---------- Post added August 11th, 2014 at 10:45 AM ----------

Kevin's being all rational and thinks 1) it would be rude to cancel

Hogwash! It's your trip and your money, book with who you like. People cancel dive trips all the time, as long you aren't cancelling at the last minute you aren't hurting the shop.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom