Did I buy too much skin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sordello

Reaction score
Washington State... for a short time I think!
# of dives
200 - 499
I purchased new skin to use in the tropical waters in far southeast Mexico. It will be my first tropical experience and will be about 90 miles south of Cancun. They tell me I will be working on the second largest coral reef in the world. I am worried that I bought to much suit as I am used to cold water - take your breath away cold. I will be diving there for between 11 and 20 dives a week for up to 20 weeks.
I purchased a 1 piece 5mm Mares Thermic Evolution. Is this too much suit - because of the quantity if diving I thought a little more thickness is better. Is the coral going to cause major damage to the suit with so much time on site identifying and measuring it.
I have used the suit and love it - it is the easiest suit to put on and take off I've ever used. It is the first one piece suit I have ever used and the best fitting. In that respect I feel very lucky.
Any advice on tropical diving would be appreciated - I am a zoologist and know about the critters - one of the reasons for the purchase is I want maximum protection from the stinging ones. I've never experienced them before and don't want start now.

5 mm may be good for a long day of diving. But I would not see it unusual to also bring a long a 3mm suit for the warmer days or for the start of the day. I always find it wise to have a small variety of suits. 3mmm suits are very inexpensive.

It depends on how warm you run. For a week in Utila, 18 dives, I just wore a lycra skin, no problem with cold at all. However, I do run warm, use just a 5mm core warmer once the water gets near 70F.

If you will be doing "11 and 20 dives a week for up to 20 weeks" --- your 5mm suit will be necessary. Otherwise at the end of a day of relatively immobile observation, you will start getting chilled at depth. The coral won't do anything to your suit as long as you stay off it.

5mm is good, i dive a 7 in tropical waters and have done so for years. Sounds like you will be doing a lot of diving, trust me you will be real happy for that 5mm by the 4th dive of the day....

I just got back from Sea of Cortez. Water was 84 and I was in a lycra skin. 2 dives had a nice current like back home, as I started really kicking I pulled at my neck to let some nice cool water into my suit. The water isnt too refreshing... Some other people were using 3 & 5 mil suits though so youll be fine.

Thank You for your responses. I feel much more comfortable with my choice.
The actual work requires only 2 dives a day per person but these are done in 2 shifts and only one dive on saturday. we will work 5 1/2 days a week.
The organization requires members to take first responder class while there. I've already done that.
The extra diving for me would be required to get my dive master certification. This is required by the organization for employment and is offered but, it has to be done in addition to the other responsabilities.

It sounds like you may not have a diveshop next door. Better to err in the direction of having extra gear. In addition to the 5mm, I'd bring along a full 3mm or 3/2mm full wetsuit.

Whether or not you bring along an extra suit, I'd definitely add a beanie to your gear. Just a couple ounces of neoprene, but it makes a huge difference in comfort, particularly if you have a big heat-radiating bald spot like me.

Back
Top Bottom