Did early Aqualung Legends have fixed (built-in) crowns in the first stage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ParrotfishNick

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hello group, this question is addressed to Aqualung qualified technicians or current or former Aqualung equipment reps very familiar with Aqualung products. A client recently gave me an early generation Legend reg set. Dis-assembly went without a hitch except when it came to the crown. Every attempt to remove the crown without bending my tools has failed. I've soaked the body in CLR for about 20 mins and tried the ultrasound with a 50/50 water/vinegar solution but nothing has worked so far. Since I've had an experience with a Cressi MC-5 that had a built in crown and when the upgraded to the MC-9 they changed it to a removable crown, I've been thinking that this might be a built in one. There is no reference in the Aqualung manual or the online training site. Does anyone know if early Legend 1st stages had a fixed crown?

Thanks for your help.

Here are some pictures for you relating to the above post

IMG_5641.JPG
IMG_5639.JPG
IMG_5642.JPG
IMG_5643.JPG

I'm not officially trained in any way, but quick bit of Google-Fu shows Aqualung's timeline introducing the Legend in 2002. VintageDoubleHose has a documents repository where I got the manual for the legend (rev 7/2002, ironically with an original copyright of 2000), which shows the removable crown, with no mention of any other way. The earlier Titan is the same... So I suspect you just have a ridiculously stuck crown.
Someone like @rsingler can probably be more precise.

Respectfully,

James

Just to update everyone. Aqualung Legend always had removable crowns per Aqualung. This particular was very corroded inside and from the damage that is visible inside its either that corrosion did its thing and the center orifice is damaged but I'm willing to bet the last person who tried to remove this crown damaged the opening opposite to where the crown seats. I was finally able to remove it using a push pin and a rubber mallet and coaxing it out slowly. See pic below
IMG_5645.JPG

Well done!
Now wrap a 1/4" x 3" strip of Micromesh (4000‐6000 grit) on a 3/8" dowel and polish the existing land in the body. I'll bet you'll be able to press in a new orifice just fine.
This is a Poseidon, but same process...
20200501_112933.jpg

Scary pics!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom