did anyone see that ridiculous on the edge show that was on last night?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gary D.:
Trimix should be around $.30-$.50 a cubic foot. That is not that expensive at all when safety is the issue.

Gary D.
I believe the reason they gave for not using it was having to have the tanks helicoptored back and forth daily or something like that, not that the 'mix itself was too expensive.

Gary D.:
Trimix should be around $.30-$.50 a cubic foot. That is not that expensive at all when safety is the issue.

Gary D.

Availability worldwide is not what it is in the US. Factor in other costs, it could have added an additonal 10-20k to the cost of the expidition. (think new haskel and gas blending equipment, bulk cylinders and extra helo-loads to carry them. refills etc)

BabyDuck:
I saw it another time it was on and there were definitely lack of communication issues. I can't speak to whether the plan was fubar or not - ow - but some of the missed stuff was so basic!

BabyDuck,

I think you answered anyone's questions just by saying that the stuff that was missed in their so-called plan was basic stuff. That comment, which is correct, and the result, says it all. :11:

I understand why everyone is upset with this documentary, but generalized statements like "they are all fubar" and "lucky they are not all dead" is a little harsh and judgmental.

All film makers, whether fiction or non tend to glorify the subject of their films, lets put that aside.

Kieran McKay and Pete Hobson are two of the most experience cave divers in NZ, plus this expedition was 10 years ago. Who could afford to haul in enough O2 and Helium bottles miles from nowhere to last as long as they planned their expedition? They were lucky enough to get a compressor onsite.

If Dave Weaver had not died, then this discussion would probably have a differnet tone, but he did and it is his own fault, not the expeditions.

Here is a little more reading for anyone interested in learning how reckless Dave was
http://nzcaver.org/htg/articles/pearse.htm

These guys were pioneers and groups continue to dive the Pearce Resurgence.

Here is a ton of info about the Pearce
http://www.deepdiving.net/index.html

And remember the first person to touch the Andrea Doria was on a single 72 Steel tank breathing air, I don't hear everyone calling Peter Gimble crazy, cluster etc.... Gary Gentile, John Chatterton, Richie Kohler, etc... all dove and penetrated the Doria on air, why not the harsh critism on these guys? People died on these trips, but I don't hear the crowds disecting the plans, equipment and/or responses to these incidents?

I like to give the benefit of the doubt until I can acquire enough information to judge, I do not believe the National Geographic Documentary provided enough info.

I for one would not take such risks, other people love the risk and live or die with the consequences. If it wasn't for people pushing the limits what kind of advances would we make?

in_cavediver:
Availability worldwide is not what it is in the US. Factor in other costs, it could have added an additonal 10-20k to the cost of the expidition. (think new haskel and gas blending equipment, bulk cylinders and extra helo-loads to carry them. refills etc)
Do you think these guys would pay $10k to have their friend back?

Do you think his parents would pay it?

If you can't afford to do this kind of thing safely, leave it to those who can.

ScubaTex ,, yeah thats the guy who drown. He was sick with a cold made 3 dives shallower then tried to jump to 250

Gary. My uncle says the same thing. when he went in the navy in 53 was a diver wound up doing hard hat salvage ect. He has no idea how they lived and are still alive. None of them didnt loose it atleast one and none of them didnt wind up with a hit.

pants!:
Do you think these guys would pay $10k to have their friend back?

Do you think his parents would pay it?

If you can't afford to do this kind of thing safely, leave it to those who can.

Look at my previous post. 1) Its not something to advocate and 2) People who do this sort advanced diving have the knowledge and expierence to make their own calls.

Whether people like it or not, money does enter into the equation. Its all the risk-reward equation. They made their choice. (realize this was in 1995 not 2005)

in_cavediver:
Look at my previous post. 1) Its not something to advocate and 2) People who do this sort advanced diving have the knowledge and expierence to make their own calls.

Whether people like it or not, money does enter into the equation. Its all the risk-reward equation. They made their choice. (realize this was in 1995 not 2005)
Oh I wasn't arguing with you, just using your number for a more general comment :)

that had an F'ing helicopter flying in supplies ... the only dive that was dumb was the deep jump ,, what did they need ,,, 4 pre mixed tanks yeah I dont think a helicopter that flew in 5 divers and all their gear could have handled 4 tanks........

BadLatitude:
that had an F'ing helicopter flying in supplies ... the only dive that was dumb was the deep jump ,, what did they need ,,, 4 pre mixed tanks yeah I dont think a helicopter that flew in 5 divers and all their gear could have handled 4 tanks........
They were doing an expedition that involved many dives over a long period of time.

There's significantly more involved than tossing some full tanks on the chopper, unless you want to send the chopper to and from location after every dive to go get fills.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom