Diaphragm 1st stages blowing out at depth?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No, the water pressure on the outside presses on the diaphragm to compensate for depth changes. It's got nothing to do with balanced vs unbalanced. Diaphragm regulators are balanced by placing the poppet (HP seat) stem in a chamber sealed by an o-ring so that the upstream tank pressure is a net zero (or close to) on the HP seat, resulting in stable IP throughout the entire range of tank pressure.

Not in a balanced diaphragm. There is a second, smaller spring that pushes the seat against the orifice.

it is balancing, though we refer to it as depth compensating, but yes it is obviously independent of being balanced as a function of tank pressure. There are a few balanced diaphragms out there that use tank pressure as part of the equation. Some of my Poseidon's certainly do

it is balancing, though we refer to it as depth compensating,

Balancing and depth compensation are two completely different things. All diving regulators must be depth compensating or they would not work. They do this through the introduction of ambient pressure in the forces required to open the valve. Balancing has to do with the effects of supply pressure on the valve. Nothing to do with depth compensating. I'm surprised that you're confused about this.

Balancing and depth compensation are two completely different things. All diving regulators must be depth compensating or they would not work. They do this through the introduction of ambient pressure in the forces required to open the valve. Balancing has to do with the effects of supply pressure on the valve. Nothing to do with depth compensating. I'm surprised that you're confused about this.

i'm not, I misworded the original post but depth compensating is still balancing. It's balancing the intermediate pressure as a function of ambient pressure. Apeks chooses to use the term "balancing" for this as well as the unrelated balance of intermediate pressure as a function of supply pressure

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom