Diamond Point (Sequim) Dive Report, 01 Apr 2008

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

g2

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
In the never-ending quest for new dive territory, today we dove from the boat ramp at Diamond Point. I was expecting a muddy, polluted bottom with nary more that a geoduck siphon. Imagine my giddy delight to discover a fairly pristine slope of rocks and sand leading down into a mysterious abyss. :)

Seriously, there wasn't a whole lot of life beyond a few stoic, rock-like sculpin, a couple monstrous sea stars, and some crabs posed upright in I'm-going-to-nip-you defensive positions. Still, if you're looking to go deep, fast, this is it. The rocky slope descends quickly once you're in the water. We followed it down to 90ft with no sign of it letting up, but since the life wasn't any different at depth and the light was lousy, we slowly made our way back to the <50ft zone where things seemed more lively. Visibility was an eye-popping 20ft in the shallows, less as we went deeper.

Currents were light but picked up earlier than the predictions (for nearby Protection Island) indicated. We spent most of the dive casually drifting; if you happen to get swept down the beach a small distance it would be no problem walking back to the entry point. Parking is a bit of an issue, but no neighborhood parking g*stapo came to shoo us away -- probably because most of the nearby homes are vacant in the off season.

Would I go here again? Nah, too boring. But just down the coast is an old pier where ships were quarantined in the late 1800's -- that's the E-ticket I want to ride! Access there, however, is difficult because it's all private property; I need a boat.

glenn

Easy Entry: :thumbs_up::thumbs_up::thumbs_up::thumbs_up:
Photography: :camera::camera:
Fun: :beer::beer:

Attachments

• boatlaunch.JPG
    boatlaunch.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 40
  • diamond_point_north.JPG
    diamond_point_north.JPG
    101.1 KB · Views: 41
  • diamond_point_south.JPG
    diamond_point_south.JPG
    127.3 KB · Views: 38
  • sculpin.JPG
    sculpin.JPG
    160 KB · Views: 40
  • seastar.JPG
    seastar.JPG
    166.6 KB · Views: 45
Thanks for your report! I have family that lives about 5 minutes from there and we've been thinking about checking it out.

Hiya saylke. Go for it! It's an easy dive at slack tide.

If you have a boat -- even just a small dinghy -- I'd head around the point and tie-off on the old pier. I haven't dove there yet but I'd bet it would be interesting. Looking at a nautical chart of the area, the bottom near the pier drops off even faster than the boat ramp (probably the reason they put it there, eh?). If you go diving in the area let me know how it goes!

glenn

Thanks for the tip on a place to head with our new boat!

Glenn,

I'm hooked, lets do a boat dive together. You bring the science, I'll bring the boat. I'm an explorer, check out my only post as of yet. Let me know about the dive.

Sam

Back
Top Bottom