Diabetes and the Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

John A Lewis

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
This is a topic that comes up quite frequently in diving circles, mainly because of older divers or others who are most susceptible. Check and see how much you know about diving and diabetes – and whether or not it's considered an absolute contraindication for diving anymore. Take the DAN quiz!

https://www.diversalertnetwork.org/files/DiabetesSummaryGuidelines.pdf

fascinating. I will also note that my BSL is rarely >150, and I'm not sure how much I want to raise my blood sugar in order to keep diving...though I definitely want to keep diving. Is this assuming people dive way less often than I do?

fascinating. I will also note that my BSL is rarely >150, and I'm not sure how much I want to raise my blood sugar in order to keep diving...though I definitely want to keep diving. Is this assuming people dive way less often than I do?

You'll have to ask DAN about that. I haven't any idea.

i just had a lunch meeting with a representative from a company that manufactures wearable continuous glucose monitors. he mentioned that they were waterproof and safe for bathing, snorkeling, scuba. i questioned the depth rating and he thought about 20 or 30ft(not exactly scuba depths). i told him it would be an interesting product if it functioned at greater depths as, as has been stated elsewhere, diabetes and diving is a controversial topic. i'm not sure how beneficial it would be if you were at 90ft when the alarm went off detecting hypoglycemia as managing hypoglycemia at depth is another obstacle all together.
he offered to let me(i am not a diabetic) wear a sensor and try it out next time i go diving to see if it can stand up to recreational depths.
maybe some day there will be better tools that will provide for more safety for diving diabetics than exists today

i questioned the depth rating and he thought about 20 or 30ft(not exactly scuba depths).

Interesting. Research I did a while back involving glucose pumps showed that while some manufacturers claimed Scuba capability, none had been tested in water to verify the pressure rating claim. Granted, this was a few years ago, so there is probably new info out there now. The specific maker of the device should know, and what test procedues they followed.

Wrote to DAN and got a really really helpful response. Thanks for the nudge.

Back
Top Bottom