Diabetes and Tech diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, I would give it up- ALL DIVING. I also very carefully monitor my health and physical fitness.

Do a search of diabetes on this board. It has been discused before. Make sure you know what it is like to experience hypoglycemia, and that you have a source of glucose. Make sure your partner is aware of your problem and of the signs of hypoglycemia and how to administer the glucose to you.
Realize that exertion in a time of crisis may induce hypoglycemia right when you need a clear head. Your partner will basically be diving without a partner. I tend to agree that it is a very dangerous idea for you and those who may have to save you.
I have had patients with very low blood sugar who are mentally gone, yet who fight my attemps to administer glucose. And these are very intellegent and fit patients. When your blood glucose crashes, you may be too far gone to know you are in trouble.
Lloyd

Hello

Since this thread started in 2002, has anyone heard of any current information in to technical diving for type one diabetics?
I ask because I plan to start Tech 40 in June once I have my gear set up right and complete the necessary dives

Thanks

Hello

Since this thread started in 2002, has anyone heard of any current information in to technical diving for type one diabetics?
I ask because I plan to start Tech 40 in June once I have my gear set up right and complete the necessary dives

Thanks
I can't help you with your question. I just want to suggest that you start a new thread rather than reopen a 9-year old thread. It is possible that people who might be of excellent help to you might look at the thread date, see it is an old one, and quit reading before they see that you asked a good new question. Most of the time very old threads get opened, it is for a silly reason, sometimes by an automatic spammer ad sometimes by people just taking on an unnecessary comment because they didn't realize how old it was.

You have a good question and it deserves full attention.

Back
Top Bottom