DGX600 vs DiveRite Bx2 vs DiveRite cx1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi
@LanceRiley which model of Scubapro Nova? The number designation there is quite important, but the short answer is it will likely be a significant improvement, and they will all retire the old nova

When using these are primaries, I'll disagree with @Prometheanfire . I have a very big, very expensive, and VERY bright canister light. I did 3 hour cave dives a few weeks ago on Cave Adventurers Explorer backup lights and I almost never bring it in the ocean or on night dives. These backup lights are putting out comparable or often more light output than the 10w HID canister lights did 10 years ago. Sure my UWLD is much brighter, but it's also $2k and unless you need it or can justify it I find these backup lights to be a far better initial investment and let them grow into backup lights as you upgrade.

Some comments on the lights in question.
I much prefer buttons to twist, but that's personal preference, but the biggest thing is getting a good light sock to use as a goodman handle. The best on the market IMO is the Oxycheq Raider that is best available from Cave Adventurers. While you're at it, these are a very good alternative as well and are what I use as a primary light in OW and even in many caves. The beam is a little wide, but that's fine for most of my diving. Make sure that you tie a bolt snap on the end of these and clip it to the light sock so they don't slide out and get lost.
Cave Adventurers - Cave Adventurers Expedition Back-Up Light - Marianna, Florida USA - Never Undersold!

CA Expedition-button with multiple outputs, Cree XML emitter, 10* beam, 18650 battery
DGX 600-twist has single output and button has multiple, Creel XML Emitter, 8* beam, 18650 battery
Dive Rite BX2- twist with single output, Cree XP-L emitter, 6* beam, 18650 battery
Dive Rite CX1-twist with multiple outputs, Cree XML emitter, 6* beam, 26650 battery.

What does all this mean.
The tighter the beam, the brighter the lights "usually" appear. Total output will be essentially the same, but because it's more tightly concentrated, the spot especially will be brighter.
The lights that use the same emitter and the same battery will have roughly the same brightness and burn time regardless of what is claimed. They'll all be around 600 lumen and burn for around an hour depending on the quality of the battery. *I do recommend that you properly dispose of the batteries and especially chargers that come with these lights and replace with proper high quality batteries and chargers*.
The XP-L is a newer emitter design and will be more efficient and possibly a bit brighter.
I don't like 26650 batteries, but they usually come with a sleeve to accept an 18650. The body will be wider though which is my main objection.

Of all of these, the BX1 is going to be the brightest of the 18650 batteries because it has a new emitter, but you're really not going to be able to tell the difference between it and the BX1 that uses the XML unless you're in a cave and are really paying attention. The difference is not something I'd use to make a buying decision.
I don't know that I'd use multiple outputs as a buying decision for OW diving. In caves it can be more important, but these aren't bright enough that you're really going to want to knock it down due to high particulate or tight passages *depending on certain caves you can actually put too much light out and the reflections can start to hurt your eyes*, nor are you going to be doing dives long enough that you're trying to stretch burn time.

That all said, where does my money go right now? I'd buy the Expedition lights from Cave Adventurers. They're a couple bucks cheaper than the DGX600, they have the color ring around the button to give rough battery levels, you can get the Oxycheq sock in one purchase, and the wider beam I find nicer at night.
DGX600 would be the second place because of cost. The Dive Rite lights are nice, but they're not 2x as nice to justify that cost. Unfortunately the soft goodman from DGX is garbage so I'd really recommend getting the Oxycheq one.

, thanks for the reply. This is very enlightening. Ok for the soft goodman. Oxycheq raider it is.

Yes. I will be tying boltsnaps on the ends and theyll be clip to my left and right harnes. I dive bpw.

I figured yea the diverite ones had big claims. And if theyre not twice better so im out with it.

Scubapro nova. Doesnt have a number . Its a gunmetal look. Bought it i. 2011. You think this wont even beat the dgx600? I dont mind retiring it or use it as a spare.

I will use these in small caves. Nothing serious. I realized this when i dived a cave. It was a small cave in and out in 13mins. I realized i went in without backup light. There was 6 of us. Height of cave was 10m. I still dive single tank for now. Finding time to go up a cert.

Most of my use will be ow. There are a few ww2 shipwrecks id like to use the. There are shallow 20-30m wrecks.

I will look into the expedition lights . I didnt expect a cheaper light lol.

But yes in the future id be interested in cannisters but i cant justify for now and ofcourse ill need more certs for them.

not sure where his comments are coming from since they're all the same brightness.

of note, I do own a Dive Rite BX1, DGX 600, and the Cave Adventurers lights. I do use them as primary lights regularly in all environments. The only annoying part when cave diving with them is they are only good for 45-60mins on high, so if I'm using them as primary cave diving lights, I usually need 2 or 3 of them just to get the burn time. Not a problem, but you do have to swap them. For normal length dives in OW, they're more than sufficient.

Ok for the record i still dive single tank so my dives are from 40mins-55mins depending on depth. I just didnt realize that beam pattern does play a part in perceived brightness. Iv never been in a cave for 40mins. I dont think i should be with a single tank.

I will play with these dgx600 or the explorer. Your insight have been really helpful. You mentioned get good batteries and chargers. Can you point me in the right direction? I live in the philippines. Good stuff are hard to come by. But yeah ive bought stuff from dgx and other sites in the us. Its not a problem

@LanceRiley if you search my posts, you'll find links to Li-Ion Wholesale which is where I buy my batteries and chargers from. You can get them on amazon, but look for Sanyo 3500mah batteries and there's a myriad of chargers. I believe everyone should have at least one charger-tester though and I think the one from Opus is the easiest to use.

@LanceRiley if you search my posts, you'll find links to Li-Ion Wholesale which is where I buy my batteries and chargers from. You can get them on amazon, but look for Sanyo 3500mah batteries and there's a myriad of chargers. I believe everyone should have at least one charger-tester though and I think the one from Opus is the easiest to use.
Ok yeah iv read li ion wholes sale in your post. Thanks a lot for the info. Yeah i get a lot of stuff in amazon.

not sure where his comments are coming from since they're all the same brightness.

of note, I do own a Dive Rite BX1, DGX 600, and the Cave Adventurers lights. I do use them as primary lights regularly in all environments. The only annoying part when cave diving with them is they are only good for 45-60mins on high, so if I'm using them as primary cave diving lights, I usually need 2 or 3 of them just to get the burn time. Not a problem, but you do have to swap them. For normal length dives in OW, they're more than sufficient.

I know you say they are similar but what do you think about the cave adventures as the primary and then using the dgx as a back up in pocket? Or would I be better off just dropping down to the smaller size dgx That point?

I know you say they are similar but what do you think about the cave adventures as the primary and then using the dgx as a back up in pocket? Or would I be better off just dropping down to the smaller size dgx That point?

I use a myriad of backup lights. There's probably 10 of them in my gear bin of at least 5 different models. I use them all interchangeably with the exception of the twist-ons that are true backup lights only *in that they live in a pocket or on the harness, never the intended primary*. I am a firm believer in maintaining battery compatibility which is a large part of my objection to 26650's. I don't like the mini lights if that's the smaller DGX you're talking about. They are hard to hold, and use different batteries. That one uses a 14500 which is not a particularly common battery *I have them and use them in my Shearwater computers*, but it's not ubiquitous like the 18650. Since the CA lights can be purchased in a pair for $54 each, I'd just buy a pair of them and call it a day. If you want a DGX 600 instead, personal preference and you won't be disappointed, but I wouldn't get the DGX 300

General use. Can be used in daylight, some night dives, some wrecks, some cave.

Anyway cx1 can be primary? Do you have any experience witht the other lights?

the CX-1 is a very competent primary for short to medium length dives. Just last week I was cave diving in Mexico. In addition to my primary. I carry twoBX1s and a CX-1 as a back-up-primary. On our first dive of the week, my buddy had his primary crap out 15m into the dive. I passed him my CX-1 and we continued on for another 2hrs underwater. ...worked great and saved the dive.

Back
Top Bottom