DGX Custom 30# vs Hog 32# BPW?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

30-pound-donut.jpg 30-pound-donut-back.jpg My son uses this wing Apeks WTX-D30 on a DGX plate bolts right on and is about as streamlined as you can get for a 30lbs wing. I have the older version without the cover and one thing I like about Apeks wings is the LPI all the buttons and internals are brass or nickel plated brass no plastic. They also make this wing in an 18 and 40 pound version. DGX is a solid plate at a great price.

Call DRIS and see about any upcoming or extended 4th of July sales on the HOG setup. I bought their HOG Total Buoyancy Control System bp/w on sale last year, and really like the 32# wing.

I have sold a couple of the HOG setups recently and have sold and set up over a 100 of them in the last several years for customers. I have 3 of the HOG wings myself on a standard plate, freedom plate, and the HOG comfort harness. I was selling so many for a while that I had a custom stand fabricated for threading the harness. I can pretty much set up a rig in 15 - 20 minutes. Give me your height, waist, and chest measurements and I'll have it adjusted so that only a tweak or two is needed. That will take an extra 5 minutes.

I used to dive a 23 lb also. The difference in drag is negligible. The other consideration is that the HOG 32 now has the bungee on the side facing the diver as an option for those who think a couple of inches make drag an issue for the average diver. Unless you are in wicked current or swim like a torpedo, drag is overrated. The bungee does make some difference though when the wing is deflated without affecting the effort to inflate it.

I'm one of the slowest swimmers underwater that I know. My students and buddies have remarked on it as well. Why? because it's not a freaking race. I swim slowly so I can conserve air and see things. I have deco training as a diver and instructor so if I want to see more stuff on one dive I just carry more gas and plan to spend a bit more time coming up or I plan a second dive.

Does anyone have any experience with the Manta Predator wing? At $250, it looks like a good deal for a 30lb wing: 1000D Cordura, cam band slots, US made.

It looks like these are no longer in production, but Piranha and Northeast Scuba Supply have them in stock. Manta Predator 30 Pound Lift Wing , Piranha Dive Shop |

That wing looks quite similar to the older HOG 32lb wing before they added bungee to it:
hog_32_wing-300x300.jpg
Manta-Predator-30-Pound-Lift-Wing12350-6250.jpg

One notable difference is the length of the cam strap slots....notice they are longer on HOG...the shoter slots on the Manta wing mean the slots in whatever plate is being used have to match, longer slots mean less likely to have issues with this.

-Z

I had the DGX system ordered, but they contacted me and told me the wings were on backorder and subsequently canceled my order.

Then I went over to DRIS and bought their HOG/DRIS Mirage 23/38# wing setup. With the extra options I wanted, it came out to be about the same price as DGX and I'll have essentially two wings to choose from. I should have it on Monday.

I have sold a couple of the HOG setups recently and have sold and set up over a 100 of them in the last several years for customers. I have 3 of the HOG wings myself on a standard plate, freedom plate, and the HOG comfort harness. I was selling so many for a while that I had a custom stand fabricated for threading the harness. I can pretty much set up a rig in 15 - 20 minutes. Give me your height, waist, and chest measurements and I'll have it adjusted so that only a tweak or two is needed. That will take an extra 5 minutes.

I used to dive a 23 lb also. The difference in drag is negligible. The other consideration is that the HOG 32 now has the bungee on the side facing the diver as an option for those who think a couple of inches make drag an issue for the average diver. Unless you are in wicked current or swim like a torpedo, drag is overrated. The bungee does make some difference though when the wing is deflated without affecting the effort to inflate it.

I'm mostly leaning to a 30-32# out of convenience for whats available in the price range I'm looking at right now, but am not opposed to 23# or similar, I'm pretty sure either would be more than sufficient for me. The HOG comfort harness is interesting but I'm pretty set on a standard backplate, but I'm interested in hearing your opinions between the two.

I had the DGX system ordered, but they contacted me and told me the wings were on backorder and subsequently canceled my order.
Yeah, just called them and they said they hope to have an ETA on when theyll be back in stock. Their manufacturer is currently making PPE but they should be next in line.

I have sold a couple of the HOG setups recently and have sold and set up over a 100 of them in the last several years for customers. I have 3 of the HOG wings myself on a standard plate, freedom plate, and the HOG comfort harness.

Another question, does the 32# HOG w/ Aluminum backplate require an STA?

my 32# HOG wing (early edition) has integral "stability elements"...

Back
Top Bottom