DFW shop closes its doors.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

texdiveguy

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
A long time shop in Grand Prairie has 'closed' its operation for business...Tuckers Dive Shop is no longer open. A sign on the front door advises such closed notice/out of business and says if you have repairs to pick-up to contact a (972) phone number for help in getting your gear.I don't know whether this closing is temporary or final.

It's final.

Yes, it is very sad. Bill and Francine Tucker spent a good chunk of their lives building a scuba business they could be proud of. Bill continues to be a viable asset to the diving community with his work at August Industries. Bill is well respected and this must be a very hard day for him. The ownership changed hands some years ago and it must also be extremely difficult for them as well. A lot of work and heart goes into owning a dive store. This is a changing industry and at times can be very challenging.
Bill is there today and is liquidating the store and will close it down. I know I am going by to see what I can do to help. As a dive shop owner in close proximity to this store it is a day of mixed feelings. I have known since Friday about the closing and have spent the good part of the weekend wondering what events led to this and how I can learn from it so it does not happen to me. Tucker's and I were not competitors with each other. We are competitors to the internet and changing industry standards of the way business is conducted and handled by our customers and suppliers.
Good luck to Bruce and the staff at Tucker's. I am sure we will see them around the watering holes again, just in a different capacity.

I hate to see a decent local dive shop going out of business.

I was curious to see if they were an Aqualung dealer after reading of other dealers problems with Aqualung trying to control them.... yep... according to Aqualungs website, Tuckers Dive Shop is an Aqualung dealer.

It's pretty hard for Tuckers to stay in business with manufacturers like this allowing grey market dealers to cut away at their business.

I went by there and they are liquidating. There is not much left two or three regs (Scubapro and Aqualung) , BCD's ( about 7 left Aqualung, and a couple of Zeagle that look like they have been hanging there forever) , computers ( about 4 Suunto) , and a lot of Pinnacle wetsuits. I don't think Bill will hang out there very long so if you are planning on looking at some of the stuff then don't wait till the weekend because he may be gone by then.

Debraw:
Yes, it is very sad. A lot of work and heart goes into owning a dive store. This is a changing industry and at times can be very challenging. I know I am going by to see what I can do to help. I have spent the good part of the weekend wondering what events led to this and how I can learn from it so it does not happen to me. Tucker's and I were not competitors with each other. We are competitors to the internet and changing industry standards of the way business is conducted and handled by our customers and suppliers.

I'm very new to diving--but I'll offer to you my $0.02 worth.

1. Be honest about your prices...explain to your customers why you need 30% more money than Scubtoys.
  2. Add value to purchases--things like Free Air for a year with the purchase of a BC/Reg package, etc. I can't get that on the internet...but I can send my reg to Larry once a year for warranty service.
  3. Build relationships--Friends do business with friends.

I recently spent over $1000 at Scubatoys--because my LDS didn't do any of these things with me.

blindref757:
I'm very new to diving--but I'll offer to you my $0.02 worth.

1. Be honest about your prices...explain to your customers why you need 30% more money than Scubtoys.
  2. Add value to purchases--things like Free Air for a year with the purchase of a BC/Reg package, etc. I can't get that on the internet...but I can send my reg to Larry once a year for warranty service.
  3. Build relationships--Friends do business with friends.

I recently spent over $1000 at Scubatoys--because my LDS didn't do any of these things with me.

I was a regular at TDS, I was willing to pay just a little more to support the LDS, Bruce took good care of me and I have no complaints about him, I never worked with Bill.

Tuckers provided services and information I could not get on the internet, or even at scuba toys for that matter and I hate to see them go, I aslo feel that Scuba Toys is not the reason TDS went out.

With that said tho I like Scuba Toys, Larry is the man, but for the type of diving I do Tuckers was the place, I can't get my doubles o2 cleaned at leasure pro.

If you feel your LDS was ripping you off then you should have spoken up or moved onto another LDS, I'm not saying don't shop at scuba toys I've shopped there myself, and Larry will take care of you but they are not the only shop in DFW, and not all shops are out to get you, sometimes its a particular employee at a shop that will stick you, oh and I live in DFW so Scubatoys is a LDS to me.

I only did business twice with TDS over the past few years,,,,once to buy a reg. hose that Bruce had in stock,,,sale and his service were just fine. The last time was to go with them on an trip outing,,,,,was not the best experience,,,,,the other few times I was by the shop the attm. and service had a lot to be desired. I hate seeing scuba shops go out of business,,but that is the way business works in this hard industry. I am sure most TDS customers will find other LDS in the DFW area to meet their needs.

Over Easter weekend we were in NY visiting my cousin,shopping, seeing a play.

I tried to go shop(really just check it out) at Leisure Pro, but unfortunately they were closed for a whole week for religious holiday.

The place is on 18th st in the middle of Manhattan. We walked down there from midtown. I had the address. Upon arriving it was a photography store on the ground floor(also closed). i wondered where it was but I then looked up and saw their banner. Its on the second and third floors.

I was disappointed as I would have liked to have seen the place. I guess if I lived in Manhattan, it might be viable as a LDS. But I dont live there.

Back
Top Bottom