Devil's Den Pictures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaYoda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Devil's Den in Williston Florida is a mushroom cap shaped cave in the earth. There is a natural hole in the roof of the cave and a man-made entrance hole carved in the rock. Wooden stairs lead from the water to the entrance. The center of the cave is raised and the edges are lower - they lead down to the cave system that runs all over in that area. Rocks, cracks, and swim throughs are found as you explore around the circle. There are lots of large catfish to watch and feed. The water was a little hazy, so no great pictures.

dhole.jpg

dstairs2.jpg

dcat2.jpg

dshadows.jpg

Guess I have the luck and honour of being the first to respond... WOW :).

Great pics Yoda, when I saw the first pic it reminded me of something from Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.
I like the catfish and topside shots, was the catfish pic taken with your Sunpak strobe?

Jamdiver:
...was the catfish pic taken with your Sunpak strobe?
All of the pictures on this trip were taken with the Sunpak. I did have some trouble at the end of my 3 dive day. The strobe would not fire sometimes. I had taken a ton of pictures on high power by the time it started malfunctioning. I think the batteries were wearing out because fresh batteries the next day seemed to cure the problem.

I like the catfish shot. What the heck is the bottom covered with? It looks like rock from a fish tank in this image.

The flash misfiring sounds definately due to battery drain. If it's running very low they will take MUCH longer than 7 seconds to recharge the flash.

RonFrank:
... What the heck is the bottom covered with? It looks like rock from a fish tank in this image...
It is indoor / outdoor carpeting that covers some of the platforms.

Another really cool dive... I love the amount of cave entrances at this site, in certain places the walls are like swiss cheese! And some of the Catfishes are huge! The Viz makes it hard for photos though :( When I dove Devils and Blue Grotto I was still using the internal strobe... Attack of the Backscatter!!!! I can't wait to go back with my new setup!

I found this little guy hunting by the fish pond...

SY, you still pulled off some great shots despite the visibility/backscatter. My camera flooded before I dove Devils Den and Blue Grotto, so I don't have any pics from my little jaunt in that area :( Gotta go back now that I've replaced the cam.

SuPrBuGmAn:
SY, you still pulled off some great shots despite the visibility/backscatter...
The new strobe helps a lot!

Very nice pics. Thanks for taking me back there (mentally)!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom