Developing new specialties.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eric Sedletzky

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I have a question about developing specialties.

Hers’s what I’m up against.
As some of you might know, I’m doing a project in Northern California involving bull kelp restoration. Our work involves removing voracious purple urchins to create safe areas for kelp to re-establish.
All the diving is shore diving based (for now).
It involves using large game bags, lift bags, lines, navigation, use of specialized rakes, a lot of task loading, physical stress (it’s a lot of hard work)
I’ve recruited a group of volunteer divers to help me and so far we’ve removed about 13,000 lbs. of purps out of Stillwater Cove in Sonoma County.
We have a lot of work to do still.

Here is where it gets interesting.
We have a sign up sheet at the local dive shop.
We also have an instagram page.
Some people join up from word of mouth or see us at the site diving and want to join.
Not all divers are cut out for this I learned.
In the worst case scenario is we get a brand new diver that certified in warm water on vacation and has never dived cold water much less has ever done a shore dive in full cold water gear and has a grand total of 5 dives to their name, but they want to help.
Put that same diver in all rental gear with an ill fitting rented wetsuit and unfamiliar rental BC, no time for a proper weight check and no acclimation dive(s), and we have a recipe…

I think it’s time for a class.
There is a lot to urchin harvesting. Handling bags, raking urchins, minding by-catch, I.D.’ing different types of urchins, trying not to destroy everything while collecting, managing full bags, use of lift bags (safely), etc. thick wetsuits, managing surge, tolerating cold water in high 40’s low 50’s, there’s a lot to it. It’s diving with a purpose but it’s also hard work. It’s way more than a newbie can handle without some guidance and training. We get a lot of one and done’s because of the difficulty, they try it, get overwhelmed and say forget it!
I’m sure some new divers could figure it out but a class would fast track them to be much more efficient and safer. I think they would be more committed to show up, more motivated to purchase their own collection gear and show up for the dives if they had proper training to do this and were more prepared and confident.
When new people show up I have no idea who they are or their skill level. It can get a little un-nerving. We do have a waiver that divers are on their own but that doesn’t change the fact that some are just not ready. A training class would also reduce our liability to some degree by having a more competent crew.

My question is:
I know PADI has a program where instructors can develop new courses based on a need. I ‘heard’ there was a kelp restoration specialty but I’m not certain. I looked at PADI’s website and their specialty list buy couldn’t find anything. The only reason I’m mentioning PADI is because that’s what most shops around here are and we need some sort of card or proof of completion, not just an unaffiliated random course that someone puts out. It would be better if it was officialized through an agency that way if kelp restoration expands beyond what we’re doing that specialty could apply to other programs and the people running the programs would know that the diver had some official training. We would develop the program based on everything we’ve learned and figured out doing this. There was no standard before we began doing urchin removal for recreational application, we’ve had to figure it out and find the best and most efficient ways to do it.
Maybe @boulderjohn and/or @tursiops and anybody else with knowledge about creating new courses can chime in.
I’m not an instructor so I would have to propose this to the dive shops instructor staff/owners of all the shops in the area.
They did something like this with the Tankers Reef Project in Monterey, several shops taught the urchin smashing course and they charged whatever they thought was appropriate, all of them were different. I think there was about 4 shops involved from what I was told, all in the south bay and in Monterey.
Collection is a lot more involved and requires a whole different skill set.
Thoughts?

My question is: I know PADI has a program where instructors can develop new courses based on a need. I ‘heard’ there was a kelp restoration specialty but I’m not certain.
It sounds like a very respectable idea for a course. I will give you ideas on what needs to be done to make it a reality. PADI's ownership group is dedicated to ocean conservation, so you will find them receptive.

First understand that we are talking about a distinctive specialty, as opposed to just a general specialty. A distinctive specialty is the "property" of the person who gets it approved, but once it is approved, that person can give the approved course outline to anyone else who is qualified. (Specifying instructor qualifications is part of the course.) It will therefore not make the list of general PADI specialties on their website, although in some cases PADI has turned a distinctive specialty into a regular specialty--that's how sidemount came to be, I believe.

The first thing you need to do is find a PADI instructor who is willing to do all the paperwork and be the first official instructor for the course. (All instructors will, of course, have to be certified instructors.) There is a process for getting the course approved, and there are standard forms. You will need to create a complete course outline, including equipment needs, skills being taught, etc. Then you will submit it.

Then the process really begins. A PADI representative will go over it with you. They will not put their brand on something they do not think is safe, so they will nitpick various concerns. The process was very extensive for me, for example, when I created Understanding Overhead Environments, because the general thinking when I did it was to just say no to overheads.

Once it is approved, you can give the outline to as many instructors as you wish. I am sure local shops will be supportive and will help advertise things once they get instructors on board.

Good luck! It sounds like a very worthy endeavor, and I wish you the best.

I just want to add that there are several reasons to make this an agency approved program, and one of those is liability.

If you are just teaching someone on your own and there is an accident, there is a good chance you will be sued. In such a lawsuit, the plaintiff will argue that what you were doing was unsafe, and it will be up to you to convince people that what you were doing was safe. If you are teaching an approved course, you can simply say that what you were doing was deemed to be safe and approved by the world's largest instructional agency. PADI will protect instructors who are following an approved program. As long as your instructors are following that approved outline, they will have that legal protection.

It sounds like a very respectable idea for a course. I will give you ideas on what needs to be done to make it a reality. PADI's ownership group is dedicated to ocean conservation, so you will find them receptive.

First understand that we are talking about a distinctive specialty, as opposed to just a general specialty. A distinctive specialty is the "property" of the person who gets it approved, but once it is approved, that person can give the approved course outline to anyone else who is qualified. (Specifying instructor qualifications is part of the course.) It will therefore not make the list of general PADI specialties on their website, although in some cases PADI has turned a distinctive specialty into a regular specialty--that's how sidemount came to be, I believe.

The first thing you need to do is find a PADI instructor who is willing to do all the paperwork and be the first official instructor for the course. (All instructors will, of course, have to be certified instructors.) There is a process for getting the course approved, and there are standard forms. You will need to create a complete course outline, including equipment needs, skills being taught, etc. Then you will submit it.

Then the process really begins. A PADI representative will go over it with you. They will not put their brand on something they do not think is safe, so they will nitpick various concerns. The process was very extensive for me, for example, when I created Understanding Overhead Environments, because the general thinking when I did it was to just say no to overheads at the time.

Once it is approved, you can give the outline to as many instructors as you wish. I am sure local shops will be supportive and will help advertise things once they get instructors on board.

Good luck! It sounds like a very worthy endeavor, and I wish you the best.
Thank you John!
I think from here I will talk to my LDS and then other LDS’s in the area and maybe have a meeting their instructing staff. All the shops around here know each other and are friends, there is very little rivalry if any at all.
Like I said, I’m not an instructor but I am the one who developed a lot of the techniques and protocols we use as a standard just by doing it and figuring it out on my own. So I would have to work with a willing instructor to come up with a comprehensive course. It’s also a developing technology with new ideas sprouting up all the time, so some aspects of it are a moving target. However, there are some basics that will always be there.
Thank you

Purple urchin removal is also going to become a big thing, it already is a thing. The kelp restoration movement is gaining a lot of momentum. People are getting on board because it’s diving with a purpose and loss of kelp forests is a critical environmental issue. We’re seeing people opt to do this instead of just diving for fun somewhere. There’s a certain motivation and energy that people tap into.
As you said, I think PADI would be on board 100% with this.

You might also want to reach out to Rich Alvarez, who is the diving safety officer at Cal Poly Humboldt. What you are describing sounds a lot like scientific diving (not that divers need to be science divers, but there is significant training overlap). As far as I know he is NAUI, and probably doesn't teach outside the university, but he can probably point you in the right direction or maybe collaborate if that is something you are interested in.

Sounds like a great project though!

You might also want to reach out to Rich Alvarez, who is the diving safety officer at Cal Poly Humboldt. What you are describing sounds a lot like scientific diving (not that divers need to be science divers, but there is significant training overlap). As far as I know he is NAUI, and probably doesn't teach outside the university, but he can probably point you in the right direction or maybe collaborate if that is something you are interested in.

Sounds like a great project though!
Yes I know Cal Poly Humboldt is a NAUI program, which would be fine too, it’s just that NAUI is mostly focussed on university programs and I don’t know of any shops around here affiliated with NAUI. Sonoma State University in Rohnert Park/Cotati closed down their diving program because the instructor retired and there was no one to run it. I used to help with those NAUI classes and they were very good.
I will contact Rich Alvarez and talk to him. Thanks for the lead. I might even go up there and do a presentation about our PURP project if he’s into it. I know the students are always looking for opportunities to do stuff like this and they do a lot of diving down this way.
In this case it wouldn’t be so much about the agency as it would be about the content, so it could be sponsored by PADI SSI NAUI etc. but you’d be getting essentially the same thing where ever you went.
Yes it would be touching into scientific diving a little, also critter ID, and a host of other skills needed to do this.
It would be an involved course.

I believe that YSS Dive just went through the process of developing the specialty, Fjord Diving or some such name, for up here. Contacting them might help answer some questions you have and get you going in the right direction.

Both Katherine and John are phenomenal people and are the owners of the shop.

I believe that YSS Dive just went through the process of developing the specialty, Fjord Diving or some such name, for up here. Contacting them might help answer some questions you have and get you going in the right direction.

Both Katherine and John are phenomenal people and are the owners of the shop.

They developed a purple urchin removal diver specialty up in your neck of the woods?

They developed a purple urchin removal diver specialty up in your neck of the woods?
They developed a specialty course specific for this area, Fjord Diving. I mentioned them as they did this very recently and might have answers you need for the development of your specialty. I think it's a good idea for your local and would help spread awareness through the LDS even with the added cost for "certification"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom